You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,
I can resize a selection by Phi,
It is ok to type XX*Phi* phi* Phi (for Phi*3) but when wanting to multiply by higher numbers like Phi*30 it gets a bit tedious trying that many Phi's, is there a better short cut way to entering this into the transformation box?
Thanks in advance.
Shane.

19 minutes ago, scgreentea said:

It is ok to type XX*Phi* phi* Phi (for Phi*3)...

Isn't that phi to the third power, not phi times 3?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks you for the replies.
As i am not at all mathematically minded thank you for explaining to the power of XX to me. 
Starting with a 10mmx10mm square I did try phi^3 (if i typed in correctly) the resulting square 4236.1mm this is way too big in relation to the 10mmx10mm , with the same 10mmx10mm square and typing in phi*phi*phi results in a square of 42.4 mm (this is closer to the ratio i am looking for). Again i am not mathematically minded and what i am asking may be mathematically incorrect, but if there is a better way to typing it in for higher ratio numbers i would be most grateful.
Shane

I am not really clear what it is that you are resizing. I created a 10mm square and resized it using *=phi^3 (phi cubed) and the resulting size was 42.4mm square, what I would expect.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thanks for your reply.
That is the result i want but not the result i am getting😕
and now for some reason phi^3 is not resizing at all.
Just in case i am typing it in wrong would you mind typing exactly what you typed in than i should get the same result.
thanks again
Shane

3 hours ago, scgreentea said:

Just in case i am typing it in wrong would you mind typing exactly what you typed in than i should get the same result.

John already did that in his previous reply:

5 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I created a 10mm square and resized it using *=phi^3 (phi cubed)

So try entering *=phi^3 & see what you get. The way this expression works is the first 2 characters (*=) stand for the current value (width or height, for example) & phi^3 is PHI cubed (PHI to the third power, or approximately 4.24). Thus, for a 10 mm dimensional value, the result is 10 mm times 4.24, or 42.4 mm.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

28 minutes ago, R C-R said:

the first 2 characters (*=) stand for the current value (width or height, for example)

Or rather, those first two characters say ‘multiply the current value by’. In the same way, you could type /= if you wanted to divide, += if you wanted to add, or -= if you wanted to subtract.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

41 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Or rather, those first two characters say ‘multiply the current value by’. In the same way, you could type /= if you wanted to divide, += if you wanted to add, or -= if you wanted to subtract.

Thanks for the correction. I have never really gotten used to the idea of using the = sign as a reference to the current value so I usually try to use something more natural to me like w*phi^3 ... but that does not seem to be working reliably in the 1.9.1 Mac versions.

Affinity Photo 

Or how C/C++ or C#/Java etc. programmers would often abbreviate such things in their code, now you know where the origins come from ... ...

• x = x * n   --->   x *= n
  • x = x / n   --->   x /=n
  • x = x + n  --->   x += n
  • x = x - n   --->   x -= n
  • x = x + 1  --->   x++
  • x = x - 1   --->   x--
  • ... and so on ...
  • see Operators in C and C++  or
  • see C/C++ language operators etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

now you know where the origins come from ... ...

At least to me it still seems like a bit of an odd choice in the context of the Affinity apps (because the target audience probably includes relatively few programmers).

Be that as it may, am I the only one seeing phi showing up in red in the transform panel as if it is a disallowed expression, & forms like w*phi^3 being ignored completely while w*(phi^3) or just phi^3 works as expected? (Using the Mac 1.9.1 versions.)

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

am I the only one seeing phi showing up in red in the transform panel

No, I see it here as well.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.