You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - GFX100S import problems

Hi,

i downloaded some test photos from dpreview and these worked fine. Can you please upload a test photo and describe in more detail what issues you observe?

Please include a video (e.g W10 step recorder).

If possible, can you provide both RAW and out-of-camera JPEG, and if available a processed TIFF file from any other RAW convertor (using default settings, or neutral settings, no sharpening, no noise reduction)

The Compatibility list shows only the GFX100, not the GFX100S.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Is the problem with all the RAW options or just some of them?  As @NotMyFault points out, the GFX 100S isn't on the supported cameras list, but it it's not on LibRaw's list either.  "Not supported" isn't the same as "doesn't work", but if there is a problem it'll probably be a while before it's sorted.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

For many of the programs that don't yet support the GFX 100s but which do support the older GFX 100, changing the EXIF model from "GFX100" to "GFX 100s" will do the trick (mind the space in the new model name). It is the same sensor (for sure) and the same processing (I think) so this makes sense. 

As a side note Capture One--which I bought in September and my understanding was that I would get a year of updates--tells me that they will not be updating v20 with the small change to allow the GFX 100s files to import. So much for my year of updates! :( And all the more reason for Serif to build a DAM (ahem).

I shoot 100% RAW only, no jpegs, so the issue that I know about is only RAW.  A standard RAW from the 100S is generally 16 bits, that may be what AP is not reading as that is the impression from looking at what it gives me.  A single 16 bit file in RAF is 209.9MB.  Does AF have a drop box?  I'll upload one.

I am also getting some outstanding results from Pixel Shift but those files are huge, but outstanding IF no wind.  About 1.47 to 2.44GB!

I had the GFX50S previously and never had any problems but they are only 14 bits and no Pixel Shift.  

PShop Cloud opens them quickly and perfectly as RAW and also from Pixel Shift, ditto for Capture One and Aurora HDR, Luminar.  
DXO and RAW Digger chokes on all of them from the GFX100, but I expected that..

Jack

Here is a screen grab of what AP gave me of the 16 bit RAW.  Will try upload here of full RAW also next - looks like the 209.9MB did upload here and can be downloaded.

Affinity_Photo_of_GFX_100S_RAW_-_screen_grab.png

DSCF0097.RAF

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2021 at 2:39 PM, CleanLivin said:

I shoot 100% RAW only, no jpegs, so the issue that I know about is only RAW.  A standard RAW from the 100S is generally 16 bits, that may be what AP is not reading as that is the impression from looking at what it gives me.  A single 16 bit file in RAF is 209.9MB.  Does AF have a drop box?  I'll upload one.

I am also getting some outstanding results from Pixel Shift but those files are huge, but outstanding IF no wind.  About 1.47 to 2.44GB!

I had the GFX50S previously and never had any problems but they are only 14 bits and no Pixel Shift.  

PShop Cloud opens them quickly and perfectly as RAW and also from Pixel Shift, ditto for Capture One and Aurora HDR, Luminar.  
DXO and RAW Digger chokes on all of them from the GFX100, but I expected that..

Jack

Here is a screen grab of what AP gave me of the 16 bit RAW.  Will try upload here of full RAW also next - looks like the 209.9MB did upload here and can be downloaded.

Thank you for uploading the RAW file. I tried again with latest beta 1.9.4.1065, and the "develop assistant" informed me it applied to exposure correction of -1,6.

You still get the black pixels on the right side, which can be cropped of course.

This at least leads to somehow workable results.

image.thumb.png.8ad2d5fd8ca7f4a2b52dae07d845a1d1.png

When allowing the assistant to apply a tune curve:

I can't say i how far these results match your expectations, or what you get from other apps.

At least there is some improvement visible.

And don't be shy to apply some extensive exposure correction, as no blown highlights can be found.

image.thumb.png.d3cb811824c05a39aedb9259e572c782.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I am getting GREAT results from Capture One's latest release that is now free with the GFX100S!

I hate the lack of intelligence in C1's "Library" so I use their software strictly as a RIP, and it is the best RIP I have found for Fuji GFX files.  Just wish the balance of their product Library was far less over complicated for landscape photography.

I always recommend to use the "native" (or recommended) apps from Camera Vendors for raw processing, export as TIFF/16, and then do all later steps in Photo.

Affinity never put too much emphasis on the development persona, it is more like an "emergency tool" if  nothing else is at your hands. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite OK with these limitation, and still love Photo for all its other functions.

• 2 months later...

I currently have 1.9.3 release and checking it shows I have the latest release.

Thanks for the update as I have not opened the program since I started this post.

A link to securing the "beta" would be appreciated however as much as I dislike the "Library" logic in C1, 
it's RAW developer is excellent!

Affinity Photo beta forums are here. You'll have to follow the links to your specific OS, then the latest beta announcement is pinned to the top.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.