You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strokes are sometimes stretched, even they should be repeated

Hi!

I possibly found a bug. I tried to give a letter an outline with a selfdesigned brush to make its contour a little rough. So I created a new image, placed a letter with the Artistic Text Tool, scaled it by dragging its edge and then clicked on the brush in the Brushes panel. The brush was set to repeat, but the outline that appeared was stretched. So I controlled if this also happens to ellipses and rectangles. In that cases, it worked as it should.

It has no effect to convert the letter into curves before. But sometimes, after having added some objects like ellipses, rectangles, curves..., suddenly it even works with letters as it should. But sometimes even that doesn't help.

I attached a screenshot to show what I mean. All outlines of shown objects are made with the same brush and the same parameters.

My OS is Windows 10, Version 20H2; Designer 1.9.1.979.

scr5.thumb.JPG.2302190a3c4e9a0347cf59654ab61935.JPG

• Staff

Hi iconoclast,

Could you attach a copy of the file shown (preferably with the text still as Artistic Text) in the screenshot please along with a copy of the brush category you're using? I've tried myself and not seeing the results your screenshot is showing.

Here it is. It is a brush I created myself. The first one in the category "Spray". But it's the same with the other ones (and, by the way, also with the dotted brushes of the "Fineliner"-Set that could be downloaded with one of the latest updates). I saved the file with the protocol.

scr6.thumb.JPG.cdaabe0ccd225b5b5232f92ebdf2a889.JPG

Stroke-Problem.afdesign Spray.afbrushes

• Staff

Thanks for the file iconoclast,

I can now reproduce it - it looks like it is caused by the text being scaled. If you use shrink your text back to original size and then use the Font Size dropdown to increase the size of the text (rather than the transform handles), you should find the pattern actually repeats correctly. I believe it was using the amount of repeats that would have applied to the object's original size when rescaled, therefore giving you the appearance that it wasn't applying the repeats.

• 2 years later...