You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash to desktop when creating or opening document

•    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)?
    • Windows 10 Version    10.0.19042 Build 19042
    • Radeon 21.3.1 (latest)
    • Affinity Photo 1.9.1
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen)
    • When I open a file or create a new document the image appears briefly and the app then crashes to desktop
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did).
    • Open a file or create a new document,  the image appears briefly and the app then crashes to desktop
  •    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video.
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.
    • No
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware)
    • Photo version 1.8.5 works fine
    • Same crashing issue with public betas 1.9.1.952 and 1.9.2.997
Edited by Thoerup

Edit > Preferences > Performance

If Hardware Acceleration is enabled, switch it off and try again

If it works let us know what graphics card you are using

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Still in 

Edit > Preferences > Performance

Change Renderer to Warp

If it works let us know 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Can you upload the latest crash report?

OK, you will probably have to wait now until one of the tech support people have a chance to have a look at it or for when someone else has something else you can try.

• Staff

Hey Thoerup,

Thanks for the initial bug report and answering the questions - very much appreciated.

I've had a look at the bug report and I cannot see anything that jumps out and it's not one I recall seeing before so I'm trying to get more info.

If you've disabled OpenCL and your on AMD as well as trying the beta which has a number of fixes, I'm a little stumped. Hopefully when I hear back about the crash report I can have something useful for you.

Would you mind just having a quick look to see if you have any of these apps installed that are known to cause us issues:

• Staff

Hey Thomas,

We suspect it might be a monitor profile.

Ideally we'll need to see what Colour Profile the monitor is using, and if possible get a copy of it. You should be able to switch it to use an sRGB profile which should hopefully prevent the crashing.

1. Search for Colour Management from the Start menu and click to open.
  2. With the Devices tab visible, select the correct monitor from the Devices dropdown menu.
  3. Can you attach a screenshot of this dialog. I imagine you should see a profile listed and the profiles filename in the list. Please note this down
  4. Go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color
  5. Find the Colour Profile in here that shares the same filename as the one in the Devices list above in Step 3
  6. Once found copy this to your desktop and then attach it your forum post.

Once you have done this - please follow the next steps to change it to use an sRGB profile. However please do the above first as this profile is very useful to us.

1. Back in the Devices tab, select the correct monitor from the Devices dropdown menu and tick Use my settings for this device is selected.
  2. Now click Add... and select sRGB IEC61966-2.1 from the list and click OK. The sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile should now appear in the Profiles associated with this device: section.
  3. Select the profile and click Set as Default Profile to make it the default.
  4. Close the Colour Management window and restart your Affinity app.

Also, is there anything in here - %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Log.txt

FYI: I Just purchased and installed Affinity Photo for Windows today and had the same problem on my desktop machine with an Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti graphics card. Affinity would crash to desktop directly on opening any photo file, raw (Fuji RAF) or any generic format (TIFF, JPG, PNG etc). The solution was to set Windows 8 compatibility mode for starting the Affinity Photo EXE. However, I'm a little concerned that this might limit features. Is this the case?

Note on my system: I use the Nvidia Studio drivers, not the Gaming drivers. Core i7 6700 processor, 32GB of RAM, Windows 10 latest updates. I'm updating the graphics card to an RTX 2060 in a couple of days.

51 minutes ago, Eftaliotis said:

Update: Switching from the standard Dell profile for my 4K monitor to the srgb profile also solved the problem. I can now switch off Windows 8 compatibility mode without getting the crashes any more. I kept the old Dell profile as well and just selected the srgb one as the default. 

Could you upload the ICC profile here for us to test with please?