You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP not responding, freezing and crashing following update to 1.9.1.979

AP was working fine before update to the latest version 1.9.1.979 a few days ago. Now it does not respond, freezes and crashes. Tools do not work randomly, resizing takes a long time and frequently freezes. Likewise when trying to export files. The app is now unusable. No crash reports have been generated. Windows 10 is up to date. Hardware acceleration is not enabled. 

10 hours ago, Dirk1671612 said:

AP was working fine before update to the latest version 1.9.1.979 a few days ago. Now it does not respond, freezes and crashes. Tools do not work randomly, resizing takes a long time and frequently freezes. Likewise when trying to export files. The app is now unusable. No crash reports have been generated. Windows 10 is up to date. Hardware acceleration is not enabled. 

If the app freezes, could you open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Escape), find Affinity Photo, right-click and choose "Create dump file". If you could upload the resulting dump file (it will be too large for the forum to handle, so try Dropbox or similar), then we can investigate.

Just tried to process a raw file and did not reduce the size on export. The app crashed and I activated task manager and clicked on dump file. The processes froze as there was a msg to wait for dump file to be created. This did not go away and eventually I had to end task on everything and close down. I will use smaller files in future.

Thanks for your help

1 hour ago, Dirk1671612 said:

Just tried to process a raw file and did not reduce the size on export. The app crashed and I activated task manager and clicked on dump file. The processes froze as there was a msg to wait for dump file to be created. This did not go away and eventually I had to end task on everything and close down. I will use smaller files in future.

Hmm, all very strange. - However, can't tell if the following tools will help here to get possibly some informations for the crashing reasons (since that depends on if such informations have been ever written to Windows crash reports and logs etc.), but you can give it a try if you want.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

20 hours ago, TomasG said:

Same here. Freezing and crashing. Slowly resizing etc. Reinstalled, latest graphic drivers, latest win10 ... No crash report geterated after crash...  Please fix it...  🙏

here dump file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XyB0BMmZDkoK4J_02fmtQTBkamWLYDvR/view?usp=sharing

Thanks, I can see the app has hung, but I'd like a bit more info. Can you upload your Log.txt file, found at %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Log.txt ?

On 3/5/2021 at 11:18 AM, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks, I can see the app has hung, but I'd like a bit more info. Can you upload your Log.txt file, found at %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Log.txt ?

I fix it with disable OpenCL in Performance ... now the program is working properly

Hello,

Same here. I was working fine with my version of AP a few minutes ago. I have just updated to 1.9.1 and I can't even open a file:

1. I create a new document, and try to create a new pixel Layer. AP goes "Not responding"
  2. I create a new document and select the Pen tool. AP goes "Not responding"
  3. I create a new document and drag&drop an image. AP goes "Not responding"

It is not that crashes occasionally, but I have passed from being able to work to not working at all because I can do nothing without getting the "Not responding" status. 

Here is my dump file (-zip):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m14u24do6udttln/affinity-photo-dump.zip?dl=0

I hope somebody can help me.

29 minutes ago, enecece said:

Hello,

Same here. I was working fine with my version of AP a few minutes ago. I have just updated to 1.9.1 and I can't even open a file:

1. I create a new document, and try to create a new pixel Layer. AP goes "Not responding"
  2. I create a new document and select the Pen tool. AP goes "Not responding"
  3. I create a new document and drag&drop an image. AP goes "Not responding"

It is not that crashes occasionally, but I have passed from being able to work to not working at all because I can do nothing without getting the "Not responding" status. 

Here is my dump file (-zip):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m14u24do6udttln/affinity-photo-dump.zip?dl=0

I hope somebody can help me.

Thanks for the dump file. I can see that we're trying to enumerate the graphics devices that you have on your system. We try to initialise one of these graphics devices in order to render to it, but then the driver hangs. I can see it's hung in igdrcl64.dll which I think is part of the Intel graphics driver. You've got 23.20.100.8142, so you may want to check for an update. 

tras el cambio de pc e instalado de la nueva versión se bloquea aleatoriamente y no se puede trabajar 

necesitaría una solución lo antes posible o como volver a una versión con la que poder trabajar 

gracias 

On 3/10/2021 at 9:48 PM, Don Orr said:

I just downloaded and installed AP 1.9.1.979. I'm unable to open files. Upper right corner just states "Loading 1 document". Dump file fails to upload.

Also getting this on the same version..... frustrating!

I was having the same problem with AP 1.9.1 & Intel UHD 620. I thought I had the latest driver (both Windows Update & Lenovo told me so - release date: 2020). Then I ran an update utility from Intel (Intel Driver & Support Assistant) which installed a 2021 version of the driver..., and now Hardware Acceleration works just fine.

• 3 months later...
On 3/4/2021 at 3:42 AM, Dirk1671612 said:

Thanks - will do  - but reinstalling the app by repair and using smaller files by resizing immediately on loading the file seems to have largely solved the issue.

What is "reinstalling the app by repair?" Would you please explain?
I can get about 5 seconds on Affinity photo before it crashes. I wish I never updated.

4 hours ago, RuthlessBunny said:

I can get about 5 seconds on Affinity photo before it crashes. I wish I never updated.

Edit > Preferences, and click Performance. If you have Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) enabled near the bottom of the list, turn it off, close the dialog, restart Photo, and see if that resolves your problem.

If so, your graphics drivers may be out of date and having issues with handling the new OpenCL functions in 1.9.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1