You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does Photo or Designer have a "text wrapping" function?

It sounds like you need to be using a DTP application like Publisher rather than an illustration application like Designer or a photo editing application like Photo.
Picking the correct tool for the job usually makes it easier to do the job.

There may be ways to get something close to what you want in Designer or Photo but we would need to see an example to be able to give advice on the specific techniques.

If you often need to use text wrapping then you probably need Publisher which has that functionality.
(All three applications work really well together and switching between them is a breeze.)

Like I said earlier, there may be a ways to do what you want (probably in Designer rather than Photo, but maybe both) but we would need to see what you wanted to do to advise.

image.png.09892d7c8cabc9c7229531ee9bc5bdaf.png

Sometimes when making product posters, we have to insert some elements (or pictures) in the introduction text as shown in the picture-this indeed seems to be something that Publisher does, and Publisher does have this function, but in Adobe Illustrator In, I can rely on it to complete.
At the same time, there is an important text layout method in Asian languages—vertical text layout, that is, to layout text, words, and sentences vertically. It seems that Photo and Designer do not have similar functions.

Thanks for the example.

For text which wraps around both sides of an image you don’t have any good choices in Designer or Photo as they don’t have that sort of functionality. You could create it in Publisher and then edit it in Designer but why bother if you already have Publisher?

If this sort of functionality is a frequent requirement then a one-time purchase of Publisher (currently half price) will get you what you want. Otherwise you could be spending more time with workarounds than might be wise.
If this sort of functionality is a commercial requirement then £23.99 for a copy of Publisher is probably a real bargain.

Vertical text is something which has been requested quite a few times and the developers are aware of this. We users have no way of knowing when it will be made available, if it ever will be. You can simulate it, crudely, using thin vertical strips of text frames with centre-aligned text but that’s not a viable option for anything non-trivial.

Hmm...mainly in the Designer, if you use PUBLISHER for the effect, you need to switch the element to PUBLISHER, otherwise it will be difficult to locate the element position.
The current photos, the designer and PUBLISHER gave me a very good experience, I hope to continue to improve.

Edited by andeaker

• 5 months later...

I would like to request this as a feature in Designer for sure.

I am working on a cover to a book (that I completed in Publisher). And while I know I can do many of the same things in Publisher, I am using tools specific to Designer to create many portions of the cover (turning text into curves, adding shadows, strokes, etc.). Or at least specific to my workflow in Designer.

It would be nice if Designer had a Text wrapping function.

Robby

1 hour ago, Robby Poole said:

I would like to request this as a feature in Designer for sure.

I am working on a cover to a book (that I completed in Publisher). And while I know I can do many of the same things in Publisher, I am using tools specific to Designer to create many portions of the cover (turning text into curves, adding shadows, strokes, etc.). Or at least specific to my workflow in Designer.

It would be nice if Designer had a Text wrapping function.

Robby

This video should solve your request.

10 hours ago, Robby Poole said:

And while I know I can do many of the same things in Publisher, I am using tools specific to Designer to create many portions of the cover (turning text into curves, adding shadows, strokes, etc.). Or at least specific to my workflow in Designer.

Can't you do all that in the Designer Persona of Publisher?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Can't you do all that in the Designer Persona of Publisher?

As the previous person said, when I draw posters or vector drawings, designers are my main object. I just want to add similar effects, not a to B and B to a. This is unscientific. My brain will be short circuited.

53 minutes ago, andeaker said:

I just want to add similar effects, not a to B and B to a.

But everything they mentioned can be done directly in Publisher; no need to switch between applications.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Yes, in playing around with some more, I see your point about being able to do things in Publisher, with the Designer persona. However, Here is my dilemma:

I am creating a cover for the book, I have completed in Publisher (which after figuring out what was causing the crashing has been FANTASTIC!!!). This is a re-printing (second edition, if you will) of an already published book. The author has said, "I'd like to change the cover, but I don't want something TOO different from the original. I would like some of the ideas from the original cover to carry over into the new cover." This makes sense to me.

I now begin the designing part (which is not my specialty, and something I do on the side for fun). For the Design, I go to Designer (it's in the name)  I have multiple Art Boards in Designer. The first has has a basic idea on it, as I think if ways to change and edit, I create more Art Boards. After 20 - 30 art boards, I am getting closer to something that meets the authors needs and is different enough. I go to import the 1 art board into Publisher, and now I run into some issues I can't export/import an Art Board (or at least I don't know how). Sure I could copy and paste between applications. I could also maybe figure out how to save just a portion. But all in all, a lot of work just to get the one art board I like to utilize the text wrapping tool from Publisher. It would be nicer and a little less work just to have that tool in Designer. 

I will watch the video tutorial above. It sounds like it might meet my needs.

Robby

18 hours ago, mmahmoodh said:

This video should solve your request.

This is 100% incredible! Thanks for the information. 

This will 100% solve the issue I need to address.

I do agree with your statement that if Designer and Publisher start sharing similar tools, that eventually the lines get blurred between apps and the nightmare that will occur becomes unstoppable. However, I think of Publisher as creating something for print, such as a book. But when it comes to a poster, I see a fine line between when one would choose Publisher and when one would choose Designer. A pretty straight forward poster, no question..... go to Publisher. One that might require multiple attempts, lots of "artistic" flair. Lots of examples, different styles, etc. I see Designer as the go to. As such, since a text tool is offered in Designer, I feel a text wrapping function might be a good idea.

Again, though...... your work around (or maybe it is designed as such on purpose for just this sort of thing) is absolutely perfect!!!!

Robby 

37 minutes ago, Robby Poole said:

This is a re-printing (second edition, if you will) of an already published book.

<Pedant on>First edition, second printing<Pedant off> unless you have fixed various spelling mistakes and typos. Covers change frequently, even within a print run.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

43 minutes ago, Robby Poole said:

I go to import the 1 art board into Publisher, and now I run into some issues I can't export/import an Art Board (or at least I don't know how). Sure I could copy and paste between applications. I could also maybe figure out how to save just a portion. But all in all, a lot of work just to get the one art board I like to utilize the text wrapping tool from Publisher. It would be nicer and a little less work just to have that tool in Designer. 

You could make a copy of the document and deleted the artboards you don't want and Open that in Publisher. You could also just Open your complete Designer document in Publisher, and use the Artboard you want.

-- Walt
PC:

33 minutes ago, Robby Poole said:

One that might require multiple attempts, lots of "artistic" flair. Lots of examples, different styles, etc. I see Designer as the go to.

Why? 

You can do all that in Publisher, and create a document without Pages, and only Artboards :)

-- Walt
PC:

19 minutes ago, Robby Poole said:

I cannot find a way to create Artboards in Designer. Can you point me in that direction?

Use the Artboard tool 

382264334_ScreenShot2021-08-09at3_07_56PM.png.727bbe616483b207573ad962b7d84b99.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Robby Poole said:

I cannot find a way to create Artboards in Designer. Can you point me in that direction?

As @Old Bruce said, you can use the Artboard Tool.

Or, when using File > New, there's an option in the dialog to create an Artboard:
image.png.f492063446c62a9e6ab06d75d56e4fe2.png

-- Walt
PC: