You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grouping text increases font size.

If I group text frames that have been copy pasted from another document, it will increase the text font size by roughly 405%. 9pt text will increase to 37.5 for example. 48pt text goes up to 200pt.

The only work around is to create a new layer, group that layer with no content, then add all text frames to that group. Obvoiously not ideal when you need to group multiple text frames per page on a 300-400 page documen. As rather than select, then a single quick key, it becomes two quick keys, select, two more quick keys.

I have seen other posts on this problem, none of which seem to have a fix.

Is this a style or setting issue, or a bug?

I think this might have something to do with the imported text.

If you import some text frames, then group them, the new document enlarges them by roughly 400%. 9pt to 37.5pt.

But if you import the same frames, then create a new text frame and link it for text overflow, as that text passes in to the new frame, it reduces that text by 75%. So I think, somewhere, publisher thinks the imported text is magnified, or enlarged by 400% somehow.

I will try to make a video showing the problem.

12 minutes ago, neil googe said:

I think this might have something to do with the imported text.

It’s to do with how you resize the text frames.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It’s to do with how you resize the text frames.

As the person also said in the other post, this isn't about resizing frames. The text is resizing itself when you group frames, or if you overflow text... I havent touched any text frame handles, select text frame, group, all the text reszies itsellf.

Ahhh but I can see where that recipe might have something to do with whats going on. It must be to do with the frames on the original document vs the frames on the new document and so how the bug is interacting between the two...

Here's hoping for a fix, this is infuriating, when I still have about 200 pages to go, and have a 5 chain quick key system set up just to group some objects :)

Edited by neil googe
Add extra details

10 minutes ago, neil googe said:

Ahhh but I can see where that recipe might have something to do with whats going on. It must be to do with the frames on the original document vs the frames on the new document and so how the bug is interacting between the two...

Yes, that (for what little it’s worth) is my take on it, too.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 hours ago, neil googe said:

If I group text frames that have been copy pasted from another document, it will increase the text font size by roughly 405%. 9pt text will increase to 37.5 for example. 48pt text goes up to 200pt.

The only work around is to create a new layer, group that layer with no content, then add all text frames to that group. Obvoiously not ideal when you need to group multiple text frames per page on a 300-400 page documen. As rather than select, then a single quick key, it becomes two quick keys, select, two more quick keys.

I have seen other posts on this problem, none of which seem to have a fix.

Is this a style or setting issue, or a bug?

This is what you mean right. Yeah problem like this still happened on Windows Beta app. 

• Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Text in scaled text frame could increase in size when grouped) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.9.1 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon