You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very Slow start time on Mac

Hi there, I have just purchased Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo desktop for Mac through the AppStore. Both apps take 30-40 seconds to launch, which to me is unacceptable.

I am running 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64GB RAM, 8GB Decicated Graphics, 16" MacBook Pro. So the machine is no slouch. I only have system standard fonts installed as I read that was an issue some time back.

OS? Known problem with BigSur? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

As others have said it is an issue with Big Sur. That being said, the wait time while not ideal is hardly an end of the world problem. Are you constantly opening and closing the applications? My 5K iMac is not as powerful as yours, I have an i7, 32 gigs of ram, 1tb flash drive and a 4 gig gpu. I have indesign and illustrator open, as well as a Windows VM all day long with no performance issues, I am not closing and opening them with each new job that comes along. They do open much faster then that and it is obviously an issue but I would say it is a liveable issue and not one I would categorize as "unacceptable". 

I posted about the same problem with Affinity apps on my 2019 Mac Pro with 16 cores, 384 GB RAM, and an AMD Vega II.

The consensus was that this is a known bug with Big Sur that should be addressed in the near future. In the meantime, I keep all my Affinity apps open and ready to go throughout the day or use the start up time to do something else. 

Best of luck to you 

• 6 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 9:51 PM, Callum said:

As Psenda mentioned this is a known issue with BigSur it should be solved soon.

Thanks

C

Hi Callum, 

Mac users have had this issue for about 9 months now. All Affinity applications take about 40 seconds to open. Is there a fix actually coming? 

thanks

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Chris1111 said:

Has this been fixed in Affinity 2?

No. They're still working on it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Chris1111 said:

Has this been fixed in Affinity 2?

It's inconsistent. v2 launches instantly for me. Most of the time v1 launches instantly. Sometimes v1 takes a very long time to load. But others have said it's v2 that takes long to load and v1 is fast. So not fixed but it may or may not be an issue for you.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)