You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make 2D-picture 3D with shadow on ground

Hello

I currently have the following:

kgZDAHE.png

This is a voucher I want to display on my website. I want to display it similar to how e-books are often displayed. 3D, in some kind of angle, and with a shadow underneath it (it's okay if the shadow is round and not rectangular).

So the two questions I have are:

• How to make this 2D voucher look 3D? To put it in some kind of angle?
  • How to create a shadow in Affinity Designer? It doesn't need to be the exact physically correct shadow. I prefer if it'd be just a round 3D-shadow.

I am not asking for a step-by-step tutorial. It'd be sufficient to point me in the right direction and tell me the tools I need to use.

Thanks!

PS. If you have any suggestions to organize my voucher better, I'd love to hear it! 

2d.afdesign

Download the trial of Affinity Photo, install, open the afdesign file in Affinity Photo and use the perspective tool to distort the business card.

image.png.dde5f62da438d8e40577bbbb25bdd490.png

The QRCode is beyond the cards bounds and adding a shadow at the bottom will highlight this

before you edit the card in Affinity Photo group the layers and make a duplicate, you can turn the duplicate off and lock it so that you have an original to fall back on, another option is to make a copy of the file and work on the copy, again if you mess it up you have the original to fall back on. 

I also created an artboard with an expanded area to work in. You can crop the artboard to the artwork after you have finished editing.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The obvious way would be to group all items and grab one of the corner nodes and drag to create perspective - this was one of the first pitfalls I came across with Designer back in 2014, as it's just a standard, basic feature of a pro vector application, at first I thought it was some weird bug, but as it turned out, Designer didn't have that capability -YET- but was planned for a future update - wow - me thinking it may be two or even three years down the line before I can work comfortably ------ keep faith ------- 6 years later - no mention of when we'll get this - the road map was buried years ago - and vector distortions blanked - my faith is on fumes - well that's enough negativity, in the meantime, as firstdefence suggested 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

55 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

The obvious way would be to group all items and grab one of the corner nodes and drag to create perspective ...

Well yes that would be the obvious way which sadly isn't yet directly supported and implemented. - As a workaround for Designer, though also by far away from being optimal here, is to reuse the APhoto live filter perspective then (which preserves vectors), see these live filter assets from the forums resources section. So that perspective asset is a crude workaround for those which don't have Affinity Photo and only Affinity Designer.

perspective.jpg.221cbe257f00865d20cf9fc96ee3fcca.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if it's possible if you only own Designer, to open a file originally created in Photo that uses the live perspective distortion and have access to the settings -  if so you could always drag the layer to your assets panel and always have access? in theory?

I can't test this as I already have Photo but I've created a photo document with a group that contains a vector square and a live perspective filter (Latest Photo Beta) just wondering if someone who only has Designer could test? although I guess it will have to be latest Designer beta : see attached

Perspective test.afphoto

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Affinity Designer doesn't access Affinity Photo if an Affinity Photo specific filter is used, it is a self-contained file. I tried this by password protecting Affinity Photo and if it had tried to gain access it would have triggered the request for a password.

I begs the question, why is this filter/tool not in Affinity Designer. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Using Dazmondo77 thoughts, I did a bit a playing and came up with this...image.png.1471513db64f3ff3990a6a9b92be1bd6.png

You can edit this in Affinity Designer. I noticed as part of using the Perspective filter in a group on a group it maintained reflective parity, so when a duplicate of the group is flipped it remains in line. I also removed the gradient fx from the white rectangle and used a gradient fill instead, this allows you to nest the blue/green circle in the rectangle so it's clipped.

BC.afphoto

Another version with a simple shadow.
image.png.98fec65d5e0b4fd2eb0dcd56383afc4b.png

BC v2.afphoto

Another little quirk, if you duplicate the perspective filter it will change the perspective...

image.png.17ea61c99012ad5d3798364f3b457148.png

@firstdefence First of all I want to thank you a thousand times for your help. That looks amazing.

7 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

The obvious way would be to group all items and grab one of the corner nodes and drag to create perspective - this was one of the first pitfalls I came across with Designer back in 2014, as it's just a standard, basic feature of a pro vector application, at first I thought it was some weird bug, but as it turned out, Designer didn't have that capability -YET- but was planned for a future update - wow - me thinking it may be two or even three years down the line before I can work comfortably ------ keep faith ------- 6 years later - no mention of when we'll get this - the road map was buried years ago - and vector distortions blanked - my faith is on fumes - well that's enough negativity, in the meantime, as firstdefence suggested 

Not having a tool to change the perspective in a designer-tool sucks to be honest. Now I really need to buy a whole other software-package only to change the perspective?

This is the result as it will be used on my site:

Schermafbeelding_2021-01-13_om_21_54_09.png

Looks good @ONiel and your welcome.

Nice 👍

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

21 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if it's possible if you only own Designer, to open a file originally created in Photo that uses the live perspective distortion and have access to the settings -  if so you could always drag the layer to your assets panel and always have access? in theory?

That's pretty much the same reusage scenario of what I've already had referenced above as availability ...

... these life filter assets can all be reused in Designer without any need of Affinity Photo and you can alter their settings in Designer.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...