You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Replacement Brush Issue

Guys, I've got a composite image of a mountain peak that need color adjustment.  The base layer Rock Color has a blueish tint, and my top layer of the peak has more of gray color.  I've tried curves, HSL, white balance & etc, but I just can't get the peak to match.

image.png.031d76a35979d20d111e702b599935bc.png

The Color Replacement Brush seems like the perfect tool for the job, but I can't get it to work.  I use my color picker to identify the RGB of the desired color and make that my paint color and it will paint the blue sky, but will not paint the rocks on the mountain (see below).  What am I doing wrong?  Is there too much variation on rocks for the tool to work?  It just does not like to paint any color on a gray background.  Any other alternatives?

image.png.b515a5bdd8ec1ead3032e6901b9e9e14.png

• Staff

Hi @Walt D,

Sorry to see you're having trouble - If possible, could you please provide a copy of the .afphoto file here, so I can offer some specific suggestions? :)

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

As it's a composite, perhaps there's an (Image) layer that needs to be rasterized to a (Pixel) layer?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello @Walt D,
I would do this, (the Mountain as an example).
Create a selection with the Floot-Select-Tool, (play with the tolerance)
or  create a selection with  the tool Select-Sampled-Color, here too playing with  thetolerance.
Possibly rework the selection with the selection brush.
Then create a New-Fill -Layer and and fill it with the color of your choice and setting the Blend-Mode of Color.
The advantage of this method is that the color can be changed at any time.

I hope this help.

Cheers

matterhorn-1.afphoto

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3527)

You could make luminosity masks to select lights and darks, then use those selections to paint in the area's you want on the mountain, you can also create a selection of the mountain to further control the selection area and use the channels to subtract and intersect the pixel selections. 

This video shows you how to create luminosity masks.

image.png.d1e68b709ce804d89cb494c886326e80.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

With the Move Tool active, and the Fill Layer selected, the Context Toolbar should let you adjust the fill color.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1