You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export arboards to a PDF file with their names

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @maciej.pikula. :)

If you have an Affinity Designer file consisting of artboards, exporting to PDF will give you one artboard per page. The lowest artboard in the layer stack will be the first page and the highest one will be the last page, but you would need to add the artboard names manually before export.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I would like to export all artboards as a single page pdf/png file, not an artboard per page. I just want to have them all grouped on one page and also with captions. Something like Photoshop's Contact Sheet II.

What I get (untitled.jpg) and what I want to get (untitled2.jpg). Before you would suggest me taking a screenshot - it's impossible when you have about 100 artboards in one doc.

Untitled.jpg

untitled2.png

Well you can export all in a one page PDF with the help of the Export Persona, there just export the background layer slice and hide all others ...

artborads_as_pdf.png.95eb2bf90104e1d01030554b8c99e5e8.png

... this will export all on one page. Though the captions (artboard names) would not be taken over (into account) here, they are generally omitted!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 hours ago, maciej.pikula said:

The point is to export them with their names/captions...

It's unclear if you're asking whether Designer can do it today (no), or asking for a Designer enhancement.

If you're asking for an enhancement, you need to post a Feature Request or concur with an existing one.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have a custom Java based program, which creates contact-sheets but can easily be adapted to create a "sheet of artboard" images instead. It operates on a given (as an argument passed over) folder where JPG/PNG/GIF images reside in and then creates a JPG sheet file out of those images found in that given folder.

An example run looks like this (via an "artboards2jpg" shell script which in turn calls the main Java program via a Java runtime environment) ...

> ./artboards2jpg
ArtboardSheets v1.0a
ArtboardSheets: starting scan from './test' at Thu Dec 31 22:05:56 CET 2020
Creating thumbnail for './test/artboard1.jpg' .... Done. (35K in 899ms)
Creating thumbnail for './test/artboard2.jpg' .... Done. (35K in 28ms)
Creating thumbnail for './test/artboard3.jpg' .... Done. (35K in 18ms)
Creating thumbnail for './test/artboard4.jpg' .... Done. (35K in 29ms)
Creating thumbnail for './test/artboard5.jpg' .... Done. (35K in 18ms)
Creating thumbnail for './test/artboard6.jpg' .... Done. (35K in 23ms)
Creating artboard sheet of 6 thumbnails: ./test/_artboard_sheet.jpg
Artboard sheet written.
ArtboardSheets: completed scan at Thu Dec 31 22:06:01 CET 2020

... the generated "_artboard_sheet.jpg" file result will look like this then (I've used 6 times the same image as artboarda here for testing) ...

_artboard_sheet.jpg.84eae45247c0650f28c3631d634155b1.jpg

Of course the Java program can be changed in certain things, like sheet and text color output or the ordering of images placed on a sheet etc. - If there is a urgend demand I can provide it, though it scans bitmap images (so artboards would have to be exported as bitmaps) and it also creates an JPG bitmap image as output and no PDF.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2