You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save Export Settings in a Macro

Hi!

I am a brand-new user of Affinity Photo - but I got it to wean myself off Photoshop. There are two things I need the app to do - draw an arrow and support macros. (I'm the guy that has 10 red arrows pointing out key elements of a screen shot.. so these all need to look the same).

But my KEY question is macros. I need a macro that:

* Resets the DPI of an image from 144 to 72 (for posting to the web)

* Exports the file to a specific folder using specific JPEG settings

* Closes the original file without saving it.

From what I read, macros in Affinity Photo don't support automating the export function. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Larry

Hi,

10 hours ago, Larry J said:

From what I read, macros in Affinity Photo don't support automating the export function. Is this correct?

That's right. - Though you can try batch processing of images, where you select images to process, apply some recorded macros to those and then let the batch process save the output somewhere. But for different sized images macros won't place the 10 red arrows always relative to the right wanted positions, since during macro recording always fixed position values are used depending on the absolute image dimensions used during recording.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Larry J.

In theory you can export using a batch job, and run a macro that will change the image DPI to 72.

In practice, that won't work for current users unless you have a macro that was created before Affinity 1.7, as there's an unfixed bug that happened in 1.7 that affects using Document Resize in macros. So you would need a macro recorded in 1.6 to do it.

Fortunately, John Rostron created a set of macros in 1.6 that still work:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, v_kyr and Walt.Farrell!

Macros seem to be evolving technology.  Arrows would always be added manually. Where I need the speed of a macro is in resetting the dpi, to compensate for retina Mac screen captures, then saving a PNG file as a JPEG with specific quality settings to a custom folder.

I'll see what future versions provide. I appreciate the time you spent answering my questions.

Thanks!

Larry

You're welcome.

But if they're evolving it's a very slow process. I don't think the macro capabilities have changed since I started using Photo back in 1.5 or 1.6.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Personally I am always more disappointed than anything else here with Affinity Photo's overall Macro capabilities. Evolving? - Well here I agree completely with Walt's above statement!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But if they're evolving it's a very slow process

They are actually devolving, several macro things that used to work are now broken in later version.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 hours ago, carl123 said:

They are actually devolving, several macro things that used to work are now broken in later version.

Good point.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...

I seriously don't get the decisions some companies make. This is an easy fix, as they already had it in previous versions. If nothing else, look at the code for when it was working. I understand they have priorities, but why isn't making a simple fix, that customers want, a priority? I never have understood that. Serif isn't the only company that ignores things like this. I guess I'll never understand it. Personally, if I'm updating a piece of software I've authored, and even just a single user has requested I do an easy fix (and it's actually a fix, not something imagined wrong by the user), I'll spend the one minute to include the fix. Guess that's just my own backward way of thinking, though. Sue me, I guess. 

23 minutes ago, AutoKitty said:

This is an easy fix, as they already had it in previous versions. If nothing else, look at the code for when it was working.

Which "it" are you referring to?

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 months later...