You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues on M1 Macbook Air

I'm having wierd issues no Macbook Air with Apple silicon. 

1. When editing, sometimes there is some sort of message appearing in the middle of the screen. It is only for a split second and right in the middle of the screen. Doesn't stay long enough for me to be able to read what it says. AP will drop anything i'm doing for a brief moment.

2. Sometimes i can't select layer. The blue highlight just does not appear. 

3. When trying to use a brush in overlay mode, it doesn't work sometimes.

• Staff

Hi @polystirenman,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I haven't heard about your first issue yet, but the other two were already mentioned by other users. I don't have an M1 system to check this but i will ask a colleague to see if he can replicate these issues. Thanks for your report.

• Staff

Hey polystirenman,

Miguel asked me to take a look at your queries because I am fortunate enough to have a machine with the M1.

1. I haven't seen any messages flash up or anything like that. I could only recommend that you record your screeen and see if we can get a glimpse from the recording. I realise this might be unrealistic though.

2. I have seen a few people reoper this but we haven't had chance (if I recall) to see it in person. Would it be possible to make a screen recording of this behaviour? Make sure to include the whole screen so we can see the UI and Layers Panel.

3. Are you using this in combination with the Gradient Tool? There's 3 overlay tools in the Develop Persona so can you be explicit about which one?

I'll look forward to hearing back from you :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

This is a reproduction of the bug mentioned as #1 in 

I just bought AP via the App Store for my M1 MacBook Pro and see the same issue. While developing a raw file, AP will pop up a message for a split second every once in a while (completely unrelated to any tools or adjustments made, it's not triggered by anything) and will then reset the image, removing all edits. The values adjusted are preserved, and when you disable and enable any adjustment, the all other adjustments are applied again.

I didn't change anything from the default AP settings, this is literally the first image I've opened in it. Here's a screen recording of it happening: https://megapixel.gallery/v/ap bug m1.mov (ignore things I'm clicking, I'm just passing a few seconds until the bug occurs).

This essentially renders AP useless for me at the moment, as I bought it to develop RAW files :(. I can also provide the RAW file if needed.

Hoping for a quick fix, or I can't use the lockdown for editing my backlog :D.

Edit: I was able to read the message. It said: External app reading file. 

There is no other application where this file is opened. This is a RAW file opened from the context-menu in my Apple Photos library with edit-with:

image.png.1a994fcf1b9e6509c63525724af150ad.png

Edited by Summarity

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Summarity, and thanks for the confirmation.

I'm sure @Chris B will be interested, as well as @MEB and @polystirenman.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Thanks for the video @Summarity - I still cannot see this my end. I'm using a DTK and not a released machine with an M1 chip so I asked development but they haven't seen this either. I will most defintely be keeping an eye on it—I'm just sorry I don't have an answer right now.

Hi,

I'll attach the RAW file FWIW. I suggest this process to replicate:

• put this file on an external drive or something else Photos(.app) can recognise as an import source
  • use the import dialog in Photos to import the RAW file
  • From "Imported" in Photos, right click and open in AP using edit-with
  • Use develop persona to create adjustments and spend a few minutes in AP, wait for the bug to occur

I've tested this same workflow with Pixelmator Pro, DXO PhotoLab 4 and Luminar 4, only AP gives me this issue. I've tested this with Big Sur 11.1 (released today).

DSC00004.ARW

I'm "glad" i'm not the only one. I wasn't able to read the message as it shows only for a split second and every time i was trying to capture video, it just didn't happen. This happens whatever i'm doing and seems random. Not necessarily only in develop persona. Also happens a lot in Designer working on a new document.

• Staff
17 hours ago, Summarity said:

Hi,

I'll attach the RAW file FWIW. I suggest this process to replicate:

• put this file on an external drive or something else Photos(.app) can recognise as an import source
  • use the import dialog in Photos to import the RAW file
  • From "Imported" in Photos, right click and open in AP using edit-with
  • Use develop persona to create adjustments and spend a few minutes in AP, wait for the bug to occur

I've tested this same workflow with Pixelmator Pro, DXO PhotoLab 4 and Luminar 4, only AP gives me this issue. I've tested this with Big Sur 11.1 (released today).

DSC00004.ARW 23.66 MB · 1 download

Thanks. I will give this a go. I'm stuck in an update loop atm 😅