You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi @Åsa Jakobsson,

Welcome to the forums and I'm very sorry to hear you're having trouble!

We’re sorry to hear that your Affinity document is no longer opening for you. Please upload the file to us using the below link and we’ll take a further look at the file to see if we can recover any of its contents.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/GPjdv6qIqNbMTBWDwpuL

We would obviously also like some additional information to see if we can work out the cause of the problem and stop it happening in future. To assist this process, as well as uploading your file, please can you also tell us the following:

1. Which Operating System are you using?
2. Which version of Affinity did the file last get saved in?
3. What drive type was the file last saved to?
Local disk
USB disk/Flash disk
Google Drive folder
OneDrive folder
iCloud folder
Dropbox folder
Network location
Other (please specify)

4. Any other information you think would help us try to find the problem

We suggest that you check to see if you have any backups of the document available in case we’re unable to recover the file. The investigation process can take some time, but we’ll be back in contact with our findings.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 11/23/2020 at 6:10 PM, Dan C said:

We suggest that you check to see if you have any backups of the document available in case we’re unable to recover the file.

Due to the frequency of requests to rescue damaged files (with three weeks of unbackup work) - shouldn't some automatic backup files be considered?
Each file is saved with a copy of the previous file, whose number is limited according to user request.
image.png.f23ed9e5531f2aebeb3a2c0d10c56dad.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff
15 hours ago, Pšenda said:

shouldn't some automatic backup files be considered?
Each file is saved with a copy of the previous file, whose number is limited according to user request.

That would certainly make for a nice new feature - not only could it help reduce the above type posts, but users may feel more 'secure' knowing there is a backup copy.

I'll add it to our list of feature requests to be considered internally :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

In my experience, automatic backups are a pain in the behind and can be a serious diskspace eater (3D apps)....
It sounds good on paper, but I never use it.

It's better to have some working form of 'crash save'  and do the versioning of a file manually, based on certain work done in the file.
I feel for the OP though, as a corrupt file happens to all of us at least once.
The reason is often shrouded somewhere in the combination of a hardware-OS-application hickup.... :(

my € 0,02

Windows 11 - 23H2 ⊕ ASUS PRIME X670E-Pro ⊕ AMD Ryzen 9-7900X ⊕ Arctic Liquid Cooler II ⊕ 64GB RAM ⊕ OS SSD Samsung 980Pro 2Tb ⊕ Cache SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1Tb ⊕ Video HD WD Blue 4Tb ⊕ Geforce RTX 3060 12Gb ⊕ BenQ SW270C ⊕ Dell U2412M ⊕ Affinity Photo 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Designer 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Publisher 2.3.x

I experienced file corruption in Microsoft Word in... 2002? 2000? Didn't try it ever since - even with huuuuge files in any program. The first thing to consider for Serif is to avoid the scenario at all.

THEN - to play safe - alternative strategies can be added.

It sounds like someone made a performance choice that doesn't play well with the real world scenarios customers use the programs in.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

43 minutes ago, RobWu said:

automatic backups are a pain in the behind and can be a serious diskspace eater

Yes, so you can turn it off (set the number of backup files to 0), or set a small number of backups (for example 1) - "just in case".

46 minutes ago, RobWu said:

and do the versioning of a file manually, based on certain work done in the file.

Of course, that's what anyone who values their work does (for example, with using SVN).
But even the loss of one-day/one-hour work can be annoying, so automatic saving of previous versions is very useful. After all, using *.bak files is as old as the PC itself.

54 minutes ago, Dan C said:

That would certainly make for a nice new feature - not only could it help reduce the above type posts, but users may feel more 'secure' knowing there is a backup copy.

I'll add it to our list of feature requests to be considered internally :)

Thank you very much 🙂

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

No problem at all!

Many thanks for uploading your file and providing the additional information.

Now that we have your file and relevant information, we'll investigate this further but please be aware that this process can take some time, so we’ll be back in contact with our findings, and again, we're sorry this has happened.

Please note -

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Åsa Jakobsson said:

The file is quite big with many inbedded photos, maybe that´s an issue?

The problem will rather be the external drive, where there may be a communication problem while storing data.
Serif (and not only him) recommends using external disks for backup and data sharing, while for your own work it is better (faster and safer) to use internal disks.