You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trying to adjust speech bubbles

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to adjust the tail length and direction of the speech bubbles.  Can't seem to activate those red dots. I checked Help. They said there was buttons on the context tool bar.  (Just to confirm, the context tool bar is the tool bar on the top of the window that changes depending on the tool you've activated) 

I've clicked on every button on that context tool bar and those red dots won't appear.

Any suggestions?

Steve  

p.s. I've included a screen shot of the Help page to show the dots I'm referring to.  

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 16.08.15.png

They won't appear unless you select either the Node tool or the original tool you used to create the Callout (Ellipse or Rounded Rectangle). They don't appear with the Move tool selected.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Thanks Murfee, GaryP and h_d for the input. I appreciate that. 

Yes, I've clicked, double-clicked on the bubbles. 

I've tried all the suggestions above. None of them activate the red dots.

However, the work around is I can use the node tool and just adjust node dimensions manually.  

I'll be content with that. 

Thanks again. 

All of the given techniques, when applied to a geometric shape (or quick shape, whatever they are called), should give you the adjustment handles – for shapes that have them – so you shouldn’t need a workaround unless you have used “Convert to Curves”. Once you convert a shape to curves you are just modifying a normal curve and the adjustment handles no longer apply.

3 hours ago, h_d said:

They won't appear unless you select either the Node tool or the original tool you used to create the Callout (Ellipse or Rounded Rectangle).

You can choose any of the Shape Tools. It doesn’t need to be the particular one that was used to create the selected shape.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I find this to be a more flexible option for my needs, and you van use stars, clouds and all that and save them in your assets panel :

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Or thought clouds - super simple:

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk