You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Alternatives to the "update available prompt" when opening software

Hi,

Big fan of the affinity suite of software.

I find the modal dialog that pops up when a new update is available somewhat frustrating; I don't always update immediately which means as I use the software I regularly get prompted by this dialog to perform an update every time I open the software which is undesirable. I use Photo as my default photo viewer, so it gets opened very often.

I don't know if anyone else feels the same, but I thought up a few potential ideas that (in my opinion) would be a better or improved solution.

• Offer a "don't ask again until next update" check box. (If this applied across all three Affinity products as well, that would be an added bonus.)
  • Remove modal dialog, add popup at the top of menu bar which goes away after a couple of seconds. (Requires no user interaction, visible but can be ignored.)
  • Have a new update icon which stays in menu so users are aware of update, can click to visit the download link.

I think the first would be quite simple to introduce and that would certainly allay the only frustration I have using the product.

Kalyori

If you purchased them through the Serif webstore you'll be able to set the frequency that it checks for updates to Monthly or even Never by using the preferences in Mac OS. If they were purchased from the Mac App Store you can change the settings in your App Store preferences and I would assume that it is similar on Windows OS.

1196356681_ScreenShot2020-09-23at7_24_27AM.png.f9207207f513ea33ad5a77f4da5fa0aa.png

Edited by Old Bruce
Walt corrected me with more accurate info.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

44 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

If you purchased them through the Serif webstore you'll be able to set the frequency that it checks for updates to Monthly or even Never by using the preferences

That's Mac-only.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This nagging dialog 

12 hours ago, Kalyori said:

Hi,

Big fan of the affinity suite of software.

I find the modal dialog that pops up when a new update is available somewhat frustrating; I don't always update immediately which means as I use the software I regularly get prompted by this dialog to perform an update every time I open the software which is undesirable. I use Photo as my default photo viewer, so it gets opened very often.

I don't know if anyone else feels the same, but I thought up a few potential ideas that (in my opinion) would be a better or improved solution.

• Offer a "don't ask again until next update" check box. (If this applied across all three Affinity products as well, that would be an added bonus.)
  • Remove modal dialog, add popup at the top of menu bar which goes away after a couple of seconds. (Requires no user interaction, visible but can be ignored.)
  • Have a new update icon which stays in menu so users are aware of update, can click to visit the download link.

I think the first would be quite simple to introduce and that would certainly allay the only frustration I have using the product.

Kalyori

Agreed, it is another usability issue in Affinity and it can (and will) lead people into a trap that can be dangerous: updating instantly to a freshly released major version , fx 1.9.0 and then discover critical issues that will be fixed perhaps a month later. It happened before when a lot of customers upgraded and saved in a file format the former version couldn't read. Stuck.

If Serif should happen to have professional customers they should know that updating to any major version in a production environment is a no go. Nudging customers to update constantly is dangerous and lame and could easily be prevented with a minimum of development. And should.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

42 minutes ago, Jowday said:

This nagging dialog 

Agreed, it is another usability issue in Affinity and it can (and will) lead people into a trap that can be dangerous: updating instantly to a freshly released major version , fx 1.9.0 and then discover critical issues that will be fixed perhaps a month later. It happened before when a lot of customers upgraded and saved in a file format the former version couldn't read. Stuck.

If Serif should happen to have professional customers they should know that updating to any major version in a production environment is a no go. Nudging customers to update constantly is dangerous and lame and could easily be prevented with a minimum of development. And should.

I think in the long run that Serif should invest in their own platform manager which deals with the updates rather than having each program tell you when there is an update available. Doesn't have to be very complex, just designed well enough where you can manage all your installs, including Betas, under one umbrella, therefore eliminating any need to have these sort of pop-ups. Would also make it easier to check all the free assets Serif has given users over the years as well. Not to mention patch notes.

I don't expect them to have this kind of infrastructure until maybe version 2 or 3. The current system works for now, but anything that isn't what I mentioned in the beginning paragraph will just be band-aids until that happens.

• 5 months later...