You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text in frame but not showing

I have some linked text that is in the text frame but not showing up.  As you can see by my screen shot it is there as the spelling issues are underlined in red.  I have checked that all text is black.  This is the middle of three text boxes. The third one flows on perfectly from the end of this page?  Any ideas please?

1425953089_ScreenShot2020-08-23at4_29_36PM.thumb.png.ebfc0f27a263900fc98af16707bc5e5d.png

First thought is that it looks like there is text in a text frame which has been 'turned off' , check your layers panel for page 13.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

29 minutes ago, Leonie said:

The layers panel is definitely on, I tried turning it off and on again but that hasn't worked.  It is weird that it show the first line only.

It's not a question of whether the Layers panel is active or not. It's a question of what the layer structure of that page is, and whether there's another object on the page that is causing the behavior you're seeing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

1 hour ago, Leonie said:

I dragged a master on the page, the same as the page previous and the page after, which are both behaving normally. 

Can you show us the Layers panel for the page before, and for the problem page?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

I have had a play around this afternoon and took that story into a completely new document, and the same thing happened.  If I only have two text boxes linked it works fine, but as soon as I link to a third text box I don't lose the text but I lose the ability to see it and it doesn't print either.

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 6.31.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 6.31.40 PM.png

I would advise uploading a sample document with this anomaly present so we can take a look, we might spot or be able to work out what's going on. Creating our end may not yield the same results as you are seeing, especially on different Operating Systems.

Also have you tried the same process with Lorem Ipsum text?

https://www.webfx.com/tools/lorem-ipsum-generator/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Interesting.
I can’t see any obvious problems with the first page but the second page shows some anomalous behaviour in Publisher 1.8.4.693 on Windows 10, see attached video.
The text in the middle Text Frame is cut-off at the bottom and the cut-off point doesn’t seem to match the bottom of the frame.
When I resize the frame, the text has big gaps where no text seems to be.
Expanding the text gives me ‘ghost paragraphs’ which cannot be selected.
Pressing the DELETE key quite a lot bring the text ‘back into line’ but that’s not a good solution.
This is not what I would call expected behaviour.

• Staff
1 hour ago, GarryP said:

This is not what I would call expected behaviour.

Nope and neither would i.

@Leonie Thanks for the sample file.  I've ran this past the QA team and they have logged the issue the Dev team.  It does seem slightly better in 1.8.3 but it certainly requires further investigation by the Dev team.

@Leonie and @stokerg

There is a problem with the Paragraph Style using Keep With Previous Paragraph and Keep Paragraph Together being turned on. Turn them off and it all works.

On:

1771505350_ScreenShot2020-08-24at6_26_58AM.thumb.png.95cf7ebfb1fd9191f112bdbd12a1f516.png

Off:

2017966570_ScreenShot2020-08-24at6_27_16AM.thumb.png.e81247db4a70dcf1595ad14b0ba2ca46.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.