You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Clipping masks don't work.

gagatka

Please help - dragging one layer onto another doesn't work anymore - this problem came with new Affinity photo update :/. It's impossible to work. It's also in Affinity designer but I can solve it by just picking brush in bitmap persona and by starting paint on my curve. In Affinity Photo it's just impossible. Is there any solution?

@MEB - have this problem - I know how to use now but when doing something quickly it's sometimes hard to find this right place on the right when it works. Maybe dragging to the right would solve the problem - because now it's hard to find the right spot (however it may sound ;)) - but in digital painting when I use lot of masks - it's annoying and time consuming :). It's like shooting with a blind mask. So I said. Have a great day!

• Staff

Hi gagatka,
You are not the only one. We already had a couple reports from users saying this change does slow down them a bit however with some time i believe it will become second nature again. I used to target the middle of the bottom half of the layer where i want to drop/clip the layer i'm dragging so i'm not having much trouble with the change but i understand it may cause issues for other users. Just try to give it some time. If you feel it still does affect your workflow after a while let us know. Thanks for your feedback.

Sure! I'll do my best :) - I switched from Adobe to Affinity - so there is no other option ;P. Also did a post in Affinity Photo on iPad where my colour picker doesn't work. Maybe You know the issue? And this clipping mask problem - most of users don't know that they have to drag it to the right - some twitter followers were surprised that that's the case :). Maybe some info on that could help? I really thought that this is just a bug and that I have to wait for it to be fixed :). Anyway - really thank You for your quick reply and help - this is one of the reasons I love Affinity so much - there is always someone to help. So thanks for being PRO.

• Staff

You're welcome 😊 and thanks for your support. We did mention it in the release notes (General layers panel tidying & drag improvements) but i agree it's a bit vague and understand how the new behavior may be seen as a bug. We probably should have detailed this a bit more as it affects the workflow of all users. I will check if the issue with the colour picker on the iPad is already being followed.

4 hours ago, MEB said:

We made a small change here

I did a similar post the this, but after using since the update, It definitely works better although there does seem to be a slight lag for it to highlight the destination compared to before - just about got used to it now

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.4.3 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.4.0 Betas 2.5.0(2430)

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Got caught with the same thing! Needed to do a quick job yesterday and was struggling to get the masks to work! Now I know why! 

--------------------

New: 2023 Mac Studio M2 MAX 12-Core CPU/38-Core GPU 64GB Memory • 5k Studio Display • Sonoma
Prev: 2020 iMac 27 i7 (5k Rez), 72GB, AMD Radeon Pro 5700XT 16GB • Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

it's like looking for a G spot :) - sorry for the comparison - but it's a struggle cause I have to be like Robin Hood when I need this rather quick and sloppy style - especially when doing something quickly for the Client. Again - I'll try my best - but for now my eyes are drowning with rage blood :) - keep fingers crossed that I won't bite anyone.