You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ellipse tool - unable to draw from center?

New to AD, I'm trying to use the ellipse tool to draw a circle, starting from the center.  Holding down the Command and Shift keys creates a circle from the corner.  Same result with mouse or touch pad, using Macbook.  What am I doing wrong?

On Windows it's the CTRL key or CTRL+Shift to constrain proportions

Check the "Hint Line" at the bottom of the screen when using any tool to check what modifier keys are available

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, dixdance said:

Holding down the Command and Shift keys creates a circle from the corner.

On my Mac that creates a circle drawn out centered around where I click to start the drag. I do not know why if you are doing the same thing it does not work for you.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the replies.

I just tried installing AD on my other macbook, and had the same problem, using mouse or touchpad.  The hint line at the bottom does have Command as a modifier to "create from center point", but it just doesn't work for me. 

I'm using the current version 1.8.3 of AD.  

2011 Macbook Pro OS 10.13.6, and

2009 Macbook Pro OS 10.11.6

I'm baffled and frustrated, any suggestions for what to try?

Are you sure that your keys are working? Have you tried this key combination with other software? (It’s a long-shot since it happens on two machines but worth asking.)
Do you have alternate SHIFT/CMD keys that you can try? (I don’t know what you have on your keyboard.)
We might need a video to see what’s happening.

Not sure if this would have an affect but worth checking...
675166353_ScreenShot2020-06-27at09_26_22.png.ae6f98a8ddcf7be62ef0facffb92c2c5.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

My apologies to everyone, it's working and I think it's always been working!   I had been experimenting with the shape tools without a grid, and didn't see the faint little center.  It looked to me just like an unconstrained circle or ellipse.  Double dope slap!!!

So glad this was my fault, I'm really liking AD!  I'm not a graphic artist, but a banjo maker, and I do my inlay work on a cnc router and need vector drawings for the CAD.  First (and last) time I did this was 3 years ago with AI, but I hate Adobe's subscription gouging.   Especially for a very occasional user like myself.

Thanks again for your patience and kindness!