You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Affinity,

Affinity Photo has so much going for it. One feature I'd really like to see added though is a freely spin-able working area, or "rotate artboard" functionality. This would be where the user can click a keyboard shortcut to the spin feature, then freely and organically spin the working canvas to any angle desired just by dragging the cursor. Photoshop has this and it's a huge benefit, especially for those trying to draw with a stylus pen. It's like being able to rotate a sheet of paper to any angle while drawing on it. I know that others have made comments on this too. I hope it'll be a priority for Affinity to add it soon. The 15-degree increments that are currently available are at least something. But they don't measure up to a fluid, full-range canvas-spin feature.

Thanks for checking my suggestion!

11 hours ago, Pntrguy said:

"rotate artboard"

Artboards is ADesigner function, not APhoto. So giving it as a requirement for APhoto is probably not very appropriate.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

16 hours ago, Pntrguy said:

Hi Affinity,

Affinity Photo has so much going for it. One feature I'd really like to see added though is a freely spin-able working area, or "rotate artboard" functionality. This would be where the user can click a keyboard shortcut to the spin feature, then freely and organically spin the working canvas to any angle desired just by dragging the cursor. Photoshop has this and it's a huge benefit, especially for those trying to draw with a stylus pen. It's like being able to rotate a sheet of paper to any angle while drawing on it. I know that others have made comments on this too. I hope it'll be a priority for Affinity to add it soon. The 15-degree increments that are currently available are at least something. But they don't measure up to a fluid, full-range canvas-spin feature.

Thanks for checking my suggestion!

This is possible on the Mac although it is off by default, can't say for Windows.

1337931287_ScreenShot2020-05-02at8_50_22AM.png.78ace19211eaa64961908a6328677eb6.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for the comments so far! Yes, "Artboards" probably isn't the right term to use for AP. But being able to freely spin the canvas or workspace in AP would definitely be a plus.

I'm on a Mac, checked the preferences, and saw that the function is enabled, like Old Bruce pointed out. Not sure how to get that trackpad feature to actually work on a desktop computer though. Is it just for mobile devices, perhaps? I read somewhere that the feature I'd like to see actually does exist, but only for the mobile app, not for desktop.

I may be wrong, but to me it still looks like something that needs adding to the AP functionality.

Further suggestions or clarifications are welcome!

Thanks, so far!

I haven't used a mouse for years, on the desktop I use a trackpad and a Wacom tablet. There is an option in the Trackpad setting in System Preferences (Scroll and Zoom) for those who have one, I guess there may not be an equivalent for the mice.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank you Old Bruce! I hear ya. I still use a mouse for some stuff, but have been using a Wacom tablet for ages. Recently upgraded to an Intuos Pro but haven't delved into all the functions. I don't have a trackpad, however. So is a trackpad the only option for free-spinning the canvas?

Not sure if there's a way to set my Wacom to work like a trackpad. Under System Preferences>Wacom Tablet>Tool>Touch>Standard Gestures, the "Rotate" option is checked (along with many others), but the gestures don't seem to actually do anything when I try them. Apparently I'm missing something there.

Thanks again. More insights are welcome.