You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Look at the file in File Explorer or Finder (depending on whether you're Windows or Mac). What does it show for the file size?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

25 KB, a KB from the size as one of the other files I made the day before that was super similar. That's what I thought at first was maybe the file saved or stoped in mid-process but it appears to have the information in it but will not open. The main thing I was looking for is the fonts that are inside of it as my library is super large. Do you know if there is a way to read the file contents at all if it doesn't open? 

4 minutes ago, TroubledAffinityUser said:

Do you know if there is a way to read the file contents at all if it doesn't open? 

It is possible (but not guaranteed) that Serif will be able to recover something, if you provide the file. But a normal user such as you or I would not be able to if the file is truly broken. But sometimes it's only broken for one user, so if you upload it here one of us can try it.

If the file is sensitive, and can't be shared here publicly, then when someone from the Serif team looks at this topic they can provide a private upload link.

(One thing you could try, if the file has any Linked files in it, is to rename the directory containing the Linked files. That might allow opening the .afpub file, if the problem is somehow related to those other files.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi Troubled Affinity User,

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm sorry to hear your file can no longer be opened if possible could you upload it to this post? If you don't wont to post it publicly let me know and I will send you a private message.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 3 months later...

hi there, 

PLEASE HELP!!

I had the same problem. I was working on a file, (for 2 months), saving it as I was going along and sunderly it closed, and does not open again.

this is the message I am getting

/Users/fernandogaldon/Desktop/A History of .../A History of ... - Booklet.afpub

The file type is not supported.

It supper strange because Time Machine is not working either. there is no way I can recover it. 

But many, many thanks, I did not know that I could open a pdf in publisher. actually I have been saving my work regularly.

I have started from scratch, but this insight is going to save me 3-4 weeks of work. Probably I will have the full thing in some days!!

Thanks bro. :)

• 3 months later...

HELP ME !!!
the same just happened to me with a 250 page file, it gives me the same kind of error:
"Cannot open file - This file type is not supported".
But the file was created in Publisher.
The error occurred while I was saving the file.
It often happens when I have 2 different files open at the same time but usually could reopen them.
I have already tried to rename the file, to copy it to another computer, to remove and replace the extension, to rename the folder of the linked files .... nothing works.
How can I do??????

Not that it helps now, but just a thought for the future. When you have a big project, that you work on over time, make a copy of it each time before you open it in APub. Then when you finish that session and save it, just check that your new file is OK. If it is, you can delete the copy, if not, at least you've only lost that one bit of work, not the whole project. It's not that much effort to do and it's handy if something does go wrong.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Same problem but in Affinity Designer. I've created a file in Designer, and now it won't open it, says "The file type is not supported", won't open in Photo either. I can still see the thumbnail of the file and it weighs 32Mb as it should so it's not corrupted. Is there a way to make it work properly? Never had this issue with Affinity files before.

Edited by MarinaTubol

• 3 months later...

Hi there. Just happened to me.

I'm just at the worst moment. This file is almost month worth of time and must enter printshop in a week. The backup copies also have become corrupted (because it was copied before noticing the problem) and I can't find a way to open it. 

If anyone have a way to open it or check it, I will be very thankfully because just now i'm on the edge of a cliff. Just attached the file.

Arrrgh! Help!

2567_-_Catálogo_deportivo_2021-2022.afpub

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

In case it helps, I’ve attached a screen grab of the error message I get when trying to open Daniel’s document (in Publisher 1.8.5.703 on Windows 10).

Screenshot 2021-01-19 091738.png

Thanks! I don't get this message, simply it says file is not compatible! Just talked with the customer to let him know we have issues with the file. Stress? What is stress?

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

If you see a different message to that which I get then it might be useful to share a screen grab of what you see so that people don’t have to guess.
All details can give clues as to what the problem could be.

You are right. just know we are in crisis mode and not thinking with clear mind.

1153062442_Capturadepantalla2021-01-19alas10_32_34.png.9bad029c5a5dfd6cd4c9fa31d5fcbf7b.png

Totally understandable given the circumstances.
I have seen quite a few instances of the same error message recently.
If you can give some more information it might help someone diagnose the problem:

• Which OS are you using and which version? (Including exact number.)
  • If you’re using a Mac (which I think you are), does the machine have an M1 chipset?
  • On which type of storage is the file stored? (Local hard drive, removable media, network storage, cloud, etc.)
  • Have you tried to copy the file to a different folder and open it from there? (Try your desktop first.)

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Totally understandable given the circumstances.
I have seen quite a few instances of the same error message recently.
If you can give some more information it might help someone diagnose the problem:

• Which OS are you using and which version? (Including exact number.)
  • If you’re using a Mac (which I think you are), does the machine have an M1 chipset?
  • On which type of storage is the file stored? (Local hard drive, removable media, network storage, cloud, etc.)
  • Have you tried to copy the file to a different folder and open it from there? (Try your desktop first.)

Mac OS 11.1
Imac 27 inch (late 2017) 3,4 gHz i5
24 gb RAM
Working on NAS server via SMB
Tried with file in NAS, in desktop and to a 2nd computer - No success
Tried to open with last Publisher Beta, with Designer and with Photo - No success

No symptoms of fail. File has been working with no issues all month. It saved and closed last time with no errors nor any signal that something was wrong.

8 hours ago, Daniel Gibert said:

Mac OS 11.1
Imac 27 inch (late 2017) 3,4 gHz i5
24 gb RAM
Working on NAS server via SMB
Tried with file in NAS, in desktop and to a 2nd computer - No success
Tried to open with last Publisher Beta, with Designer and with Photo - No success

No symptoms of fail. File has been working with no issues all month. It saved and closed last time with no errors nor any signal that something was wrong.

For curiosity.

Was the file that got corrupted the only one open at that time or did you have another one?

Because it always happened to me only when I had two files open and I was saving one or while I was opening a second file.

I have never been able to recover the corrupt file.

In any case: make a backup every time you finish working on a file and always before opening another at the same time.

I recently moved several .afdesign files that I had created to an external drive. Until today, I was able to open them using my Affinity Designer program. Now when I try to open a file, I receive the message: Failed to open. The file is not supported. Any suggestions? 

• 1 month later...

FEBRUARY 2021 SAME PROBLEM

Unfortunately I suffer the same problem.

I didn't work on two files at the same time as TamiT, I only worked in publisher and safed as .afpub and now the program refuses to open the file with the error message that the type of file is not supported. 

Has anyone been able to recover their file? 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-22 um 12.27.10.png