You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.8.3 Neither Save nor 'Save as' work... (actually work very SLOWLY)

Hi,

just installed and launched Publisher 1.8.3 to work on my photo book.

Unfortunately neither Save As... nor Save ....

.... one moment...

"Save" just competed, but it took extremely long time to complete without any visible change to the progress bar for a long time.

cheers,

Stan

Hi Stan.B,

Welcome to the affinity Forums!

If some of these questions let you discover a possible reason for the issue that's fine. – If not could you answer them here?

> "... sooner or later would ask" ... Are the resources stored locally or an network volume? / What file formats are the resources? / Are they linked or embedded? / What file size are the resources all together, what file size is the .afpub? / What macOS version? / Is your mac poor on free disk space or RAM? / Did it work during layout without such a delay? / Did the fan running faster while working with Affinity? / Can you notice reduced free disk space on your system volume when working in this .afpub (compared to when the app is closed)? / Did you get your Affinity app(s) from the mac App Store or from the Serif Store?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi,

I just updated also and found the same happening with a document that's on a shared Dropbox (paid business account, plenty of space left). This has not been the case previously with the same exact file. Very few changes happened in the document since the last update 1.8.2, so I can safely say it wasn't a major amount of added content in the meantime that could contribute to the issue.

22 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

First question: were you saving to a network drive?

(Someone sooner or later would ask that, so I am just getting it settled at the outset.)

No, i am saving to the local drive

On 4/3/2020 at 5:59 PM, thomaso said:

Hi Stan.B,

Welcome to the affinity Forums!

If some of these questions let you discover a possible reason for the issue that's fine. – If not could you answer them here?

> "... sooner or later would ask" ... Are the resources stored locally or an network volume? / What file formats are the resources? / Are they linked or embedded? / What file size are the resources all together, what file size is the .afpub? / What macOS version? / Is your mac poor on free disk space or RAM? / Did it work during layout without such a delay? / Did the fan running faster while working with Affinity? / Can you notice reduced free disk space on your system volume when working in this .afpub (compared to when the app is closed)? / Did you get your Affinity app(s) from the mac App Store or from the Serif Store?

Hi and thanks for welcome words.

My answers below:

1. Are the resources stored locally or an network volume?

Local SSD drive, like before an upgrade.

2. What file formats are the resources?

Just pictures, JPGs.

3.  Are they linked or embedded?

Linked. At least so they were before upgrade.

4. What file size are the resources all together, what file size is the .afpub?
As an estimate: I use ~150 pictures, of 5-24MBs each, lets say on average 15MB, so in total ~2GB+. The total size of the pictures folder is 6GB, but not all of them are used.

5. What macOS version? Catalina with the latest upgrade: 10.15.4

6.Is your mac poor on free disk space or RAM?

It is more or less as it was before upgrade. 217GB disk free, 32 GB of total RAM. Should be enough.

7. Did it work during layout without such a delay?

During layout it works swiftly and without any delays. No difference compared to previous version.

8. Did the fan running faster while working with Affinity? No, it did not.

9. Can you notice reduced free disk space on your system volume when working in this .afpub (compared to when the app is closed)?
Good question. I did not check.
But - given the size of RAM - is this something to check?

10.  Did you get your Affinity app(s) from the mac App Store or from the Serif Store?

Ha! From the Serif Store (I had to check...)

I opened the file right now, deleted one character and saved. It was definitely faster than my first case I reported here, BUT the pattern was similar: Saving progress bar appears and shows no progress for some time, and then starts moving forwards and does it very quickly (in less than a second for sure). 

So.. it is not that critical, it works. 
Maybe the first time when I opened a file in 1.8.3, that was written in 1.8.2 there was some kind of conversion? No, this does not make much sense actually. I would assume the whole file structure resides in the memory already when I select "save"... If any, first conversion should have happened by opening.

Cheers,

Stan

• Staff

Hi @Stan.B,

Welcome to the forums. 

Can you constantly replicate this or was it just a one-off?

If it was a one-off, this could be due to the way we write our files. AS you make changes to the file and save, some of the data becomes redundant. At some point (20% redundant or "save as"), we start to get rid of it. So, it that was the "tipping" point, i could have taken a bit longer as along with the save process, it was cleaning up the file's internal structure. 

On 4/3/2020 at 3:18 PM, garrettm30 said:

First question: were you saving to a network drive?

(Someone sooner or later would ask that, so I am just getting it settled at the outset.)

I'm using Affinity in our Company as we are looking to move from Adobe to Affinity but i have to be honest saving on network drive is really slow.

Is it something the great team is looking into ?

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

Hi @Stan.B,

Welcome to the forums. 

Can you constantly replicate this or was it just a one-off?

If it was a one-off, this could be due to the way we write our files. AS you make changes to the file and save, some of the data becomes redundant. At some point (20% redundant or "save as"), we start to get rid of it. So, it that was the "tipping" point, i could have taken a bit longer as along with the save process, it was cleaning up the file's internal structure. 

Hi Gabe,

thanks for the welcome. 
As for the trouble - since my first report it happened to me at least once, maybe twice. But in between - all was fine.

What I also noticed later on is that periodically size of the subsequent file versions  jump up from 100-110MB to approx. 170MB. 
Re reclaiming redundant space in the file: could it be possible that the size of the files varies that much? By almost 50% instead of 20% you refer to?
Also - one hint for your developers: when the Saving progress bar appears, it shows no progress at all for quite some time (minutes?), then when actual save begins it is very swift (fraction of a second).

I do not see how this could be relevant, but who knows: every day or so, I create a copy of the AFPUB with an incremented version number - my own personal versioning and disaster recovery mechanism.
Would changing name of the file have any impact onto the first save operation afterwards? Cannot imagine that.

I need to correct myself on my earlier description of the external resources: I wrote that all the files are linked and gave size thereof. Actually it appears I have three maps copied as pictures, that are embedded.

Cheers,

Stan

• Staff
11 hours ago, Stan.B said:

What I also noticed later on is that periodically size of the subsequent file versions  jump up from 100-110MB to approx. 170MB. 

There might be other exceptions (for example, embedding large documents) that might not clear at a threshold, but at a number of operations. 

Thanks. 
Maybe this is the case.
I checked the sizes of the embedded pictures and differences between the AFPUB files - and they more or less correspond.

Key thing - it eventually writes file down.

cheers and thanks,

Stan 

Hi,

I thought it would be good to update my post as well. I found now that the time to save varies a little, just like Stan reported. I have a file size of about 53Mb currently, but about a third more to go in a 112pp book that's fairly picture heavy.

I am working on that file being kept in a dropbox folder. It seem virtually like saving to local drive, about a second to save many times, and every now and then it takes a few more seconds. SO, all in all, really impressive I have to say. One thing I noticed when closing that document, it takes about 10-15 seconds of spinning beach ball before Publishers finishes the quit process. It obviously writes some cases or history into some file I guess. It may be a good idea for Affinity to look at how this process could be made more obvious when it does happen, like a progress bar or notification popup window? It would help trouble shoot a bit better.

Otherwise I should say again, Publisher really rocks more than ID 1.0 (when it was released a long time ago)!

Cheers

Chris