You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Black Color in CMYK is not black

Hi guys,

I've read already many topics and been through the Affinity help files but I'm still not getting this.

I work mostly on the files for print, in CMYK, of course.

And no matter how I set it up - when my values for black are 0 0 0 100, the black is actually brown. Please see the screenshots. The top black rectangle seems black but it is actually RGB black converted to 97 70 45 87 in CMYK.

My document is in CMYK, all the sliders are set to CMYK yet the black isn't black.

Please try to explain this to me in plain English so I know what to do. ;)

Thanks a lot!

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 20.38.22.png

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 20.38.57.png

Ten druhý odkaz je čtení na dlouhé večery :-) 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

CMYK values of 0%, 0%, 0%, 100% will appear as a dark grey, due to some of the ink being absorbed by the paper.

For a deep black try the following CMYK values: 60%, 40%, 40%, 100%

Try this and see if its better for you. Hope that helped.

High-End Photographic Prints

7 hours ago, Richard S. said:

CMYK values of 0%, 0%, 0%, 100% will appear as a dark grey, due to some of the ink being absorbed by the paper.

For a deep black try the following CMYK values: 60%, 40%, 40%, 100%

Try this and see if its better for you. Hope that helped.

Well, whenever I need rich black, I personally use values 70 50 30 100.

Most of my clients however require black to be 100K.

But I'm talking about black appearance on the screen - I need to see black instead of this brownish mess. ;)

• 3 years later...
On 4/2/2020 at 7:20 AM, brunoczech said:

Well, whenever I need rich black, I personally use values 70 50 30 100.

Most of my clients however require black to be 100K.

But I'm talking about black appearance on the screen - I need to see black instead of this brownish mess. ;)

I agree. There is no need to try and change the shade. Black is black 100K. Rich black is only a workaround because of the resulting output of black to printers and its objective. There is no sense in visibly changing the default black colour on screen to take this into account. Black is black. Rich black is a mixture of colours. You cant just reinvent black in order to suit how it may look printed and swap it with rich black on the colour slider. Thats just adding to the confusion. If you want to apply the rich black it should be done manually. Default black should appear black. 🫤