You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

One more newbie question pls. In my document, Master A controls the format of pages 1-2. Master B controls the format of pages 3-4.

I placed some text within a text frame on page 2. As you can see from the attached diagram, I have an overflow situation.I expected this, and now I want to link the text frame on page 2 to the text frame on page 3 to handle the overflow. When I try to drag the text overflow arrow down to the page 3 text frame, however, nothing happens. I've tried clicking on the arrow, shift-clicking, control-clicking and option-clicking, but no success. How do I link the page 2 text frame to the page 3 text frame?

FYI that I've watched the Affinity Publisher tutorial on linked text frames. When the presenter clicks on the red overflow area, a small text frame icon appears, which he then drags to the next page of his book. When I click on the red overflow, no text frame icon appears.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide..

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 14.40.28.png

Well, I got it to work. The first problem was simple. I was trying to click on the red arrow, hold it down, then drag-and-drop to the next text frame. I realized you just have to click on the red arrow, remove your finger from the trackpad or mouse, most the cursor to the new location, then create a new text frame. So that works fine.

I did come the conclusion though, that it might be possible to link two existing text frames. Therefore, one should be careful about putting text frames within a Master. Sound right?

24 minutes ago, pomme27 said:

Well, I got it to work. The first problem was simple. I was trying to click on the red arrow, hold it down, then drag-and-drop to the next text frame. I realized you just have to click on the red arrow, remove your finger from the trackpad or mouse, most the cursor to the new location, then create a new text frame. So that works fine.

I did come the conclusion though, that it might be possible to link two existing text frames. Therefore, one should be careful about putting text frames within a Master. Sound right?

For 2 existing text frames, you would click the linking triangle on the source frame, and then click in the target frame.

Putting text frames on Master Pages is common, and usual, I think.

What is unusual, perhaps, is having on Master Page for pages 1-2 and another for pages 3-4, if both are having text frames like that. But as I don't understand what you intend with that layout I can't comment further. I will point out that a document page can have more than 1 Master applied. So if there are elements that need to be common across all the pages (perhaps, the main text frames) and elements that need to be different, you might consider having the common elements on one Master page, applied to all the document pages. And then you can have 1, 2, or more other Masters with the elements that are different, and apply each of those to the appropriate pages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 3 years later...
On 3/21/2020 at 10:49 AM, walt.farrell said:

You're welcome.

I have linked frames many times so I know how to do it but I have a problem with single lines of text in boxes that I want in a single text box. There would be a lot of cutting & pasting, deleting etc. Is there a way to merge multiple text boxes in to one other than linking them resizing the 1st and deleting the rest?

If not how do I get the blue/red link arrow on a single line text box as it just isn't working.

Ooops, just realised it is artistic text, can it be converted to a text box?

Did you place a pdf file?
If so open it first in publisher and tick the group text option.
Save as afpub file and place that file to have textframes intact.
You can convert artistictext to textframes(v2 only) but it will still be solo layers.

13 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

Ooops, just realised it is artistic text, can it be converted to a text box?

In V2, yes. There's an action in the Layers menu to Convert to Text Frame.

-- Walt
PC:

26 minutes ago, Return said:

Did you place a pdf file?
If so open it first in publisher and tick the group text option.
Save as afpub file and place that file to have textframes intact.
You can convert artistictext to textframes(v2 only) but it will still be solo layers.

Yes it was a PDF file I downloaded for the equipment manufactures site long ago, I couldn't use the group text option as there are lots of artistic text that have to be separate despite being close the get grouped in to text frames. No I din not know you could convert to text frames but thought there should be that option (I could not find it despite looking many times, lol).

Here is a Blue Peter badge for you as well.
image.png.7b52b24109b1527bf1da3d52ae2944c4.png

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Another thing Walt, I need to indent lines 2 up to ??? with line 1 starting 3 or 4 characters 'leading'. I can indent line 1 but can't find a way to leave that and indent the rest other than using bullets which is not what I want/need.

Can you help with that ?

13 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

Another thing Walt, I need to indent lines 2 up to ??? with line 1 starting 3 or 4 characters 'leading'. I can indent line 1 but can't find a way to leave that and indent the rest other than using bullets which is not what I want/need.

Can you help with that ?

A screenshot showing what you want to accomplish would help in understanding what you're asking for.

My guess is that something in the Paragraph panel should help, assuming all the lines are in the same paragraph. You'll find settings for Left Indent and First Line Indent there:

image.png.33d22391af305d31ac4005b4fab91ce7.png

-- Walt
PC:

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

A screenshot showing what you want to accomplish would help in understanding what you're asking for.

My guess is that something in the Paragraph panel should help, assuming all the lines are in the same paragraph. You'll find settings for Left Indent and First Line Indent there:

image.png.33d22391af305d31ac4005b4fab91ce7.png

To appear like this

image.png.f73d4bf61d9c009b31b3f52e95d756df.png

Problem with indent is it moves the start of line 1 to the right, I need it to the left as above.

14 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

Problem with indent is it moves the start of line 1 to the right, I need it to the left as above.

After you use Left Indent, you can use First Line Indent to move line 1 back to zero, as Walt advised previously

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

After you use Left Indent, you can use First Line Indent to move line 1 back to zero, as Walt advised previously

I didn't quite figure out what Walt was meaning. I have faffed on so much I needed a break. You have made it clear and I can do it now. Thanks.