You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke types in Affinity Publisher

Stroke styles are not available quite to that degree. Of that list, you can achieve the single solid, the dotted, the straight hash, and the dashed strokes using the stroke interface in Publisher. In Designer (or the Designer persona in Publisher if you own Designer), you can also apply multiple strokes to the same object for some interesting effects, but I haven't figured out how to replicate the look of two or more strokes without duplicating the shape.

…Except for borders on paragraphs (ie. Decorations), because there you can have multiple decorations on each paragraph, and decorations have the possibility to offset, so you could relatively easily make two decorations, the one offset a little from the other.

…And if you got creative, you could probably take it further using custom texture line style (brushes) for strokes. With those, you might be able to basically approximate all of those options, but it wouldn't be a quick job.

But in general, the idea of "stroke styles" as in the dropdown above is not in Publisher. It is definitely a worthy suggestion.

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, ChrisNZAK said:

Just encountered this issue when importing an IDML file for a 56 page magazine that used right slant hash on every page!

Hi @ChrisNZAK,

you can relatively easy mimik these with a text path. Simply create a line with the Pen Tool. Then select the Text Tool (either one will do) and click onto the path. The text cursor blinks on the path and you can type '/' as many as you need. In the character panel you style those with size, weight, tracking and even shear.

You can bend the path with the Node Tool or create corners 🙂

This is only a workaround but should help you with your IDML import.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Thanks Dominik. A much smarter way than I thought of.
I created the line in Designer and added it to master pages to make up the header.
This is the first time I have imported an IDML for use in Publisher, it's an old file someone else created.
It's taking a bit of time to clean up unused layers and text style conflicts but it will be worth the trouble.
I have been working in CS6 and finally made the move to Publisher for future work - very happy so far.

Publisher_K85AWLsvwZ.png