You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A "Positives" forum?

Would there be any value to you guys of having a new forum section for purely "positives"?

Perhaps strictly restricted to positive feedback either of "found this tool - it's brilliant because..." or "so much easier than...", "able to do... now".

The current forums are a great function however for someone who doesn't have a programme or a trial version they can, at times, appear to be a bit "this doesn't work" "where's the ... tool?" "we sooo need..." and can perhaps miss what is good with the current versions. The posted samples, whilst they may be good, for the most part cannot be seen without a programme or without downloading a file.

A Positives forum could be an embarrasing "love-fest" for Affinity but probably only because we can see the potential of the product and are mostly all willing you on to be the best at what we individually want/need! Wouldn't hurt the search engines either ;)

Just a thought.

• Staff

We already have the Tutorials section, where people can write helpful instructions as appropriate.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Yes Sim2, I definitely agree with you. And ben, of course we have got this one, but maybe think about it gain :)

The positive touch seems really great to me! 

I also know these moments when you think "Oh YEAH" that´s great!"

And Tutorials are more about how you can get stuff done... whether they are fun or just repetive "work"

Yes, but there's no "Purely Praise" section, and I was wishing there was earlier today.  After a session of experimenting with all the features, I just wanted a place to tell you guys how much I appreciated the forethought and the focus on user-assistance that went into this app.  There are so many little tweaks and options and helpers that AFPhoto really is a joy to use now. 

> We already have the Tutorials section, where people can write helpful instructions as appropriate

True. But while I see myself contributing small discoveries (like that the mesh warp tool worked better for a particular picture than all the straightening options) I won't write/film a full tutorial. I'd post a 'before' and an 'after' picture and describe in short how I did it. 

Renaming "Tutorials" to "Tutorials and ..." instead of starting a new subforum would work just as well for me.

---

I know you can't influence this because the forum is not your software, but what I would like to be able to do is this: follow a whole forum (f. ex. Tutorials), but only be notified of the first post of a new thread. Then decide for the single threads if I want to follow them, default would be No. RSS feed of new threads but not the replies would also work.  

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think that I could agree that a ‘purely positives’ section would either be a good idea or even needed at all.  Current users have no ‘need’ of such; and curious, potential purchasers don’t want only an unctuous or flattering picture of this program; they want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly. They need that upon which to base their decision.

To be perfectly honest, I read this forum and everything that I could find out about the software before purchasing it. Eyes wide open.

Having said that, it is up to the forum members to make this a ‘positive’ forum. If something is not working the way in which one would prefer then that can be mentioned in a post so that it may be addressed by the developers without anything ‘negative’ attached to it. The ‘Feature Requests main’ is available for just that (although a slight change from 

Feature Requests

Post feature requests that you think will make Affinity even better

to something like

Feature Requests

Post feature requests or changes that you think will make Affinity even better.

may provide the type of place some desire.)

Positive attitudes make for a positive forum experience.

Perhaps an additional ‘main’ under the ’Learn and Share’ section could be something as simple as ‘Comments’.  This would allow for the giving of due praise to the development team as well as what manuschwendener.ch, LilleG, and others seem to be asking for.