You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Let's say that I want to crop an image and really want to ditch all the pixels around the cropped area. As it is now, the crop tool just adjusts the size of the document and keeps the surrounding pixels out of view, but they are still there.

But what if I want to really get rid of them?!?

The Clip and Unclip commands just adjust the size of the document and, actually, perform the same effect when the document just has pixels out of view. Those commands just perform different things if there is empty space around the layers.

When that doesn't happen, they seem to do the same.

So, how can I really, REALLY crop and image, throwing away all the pixels I don't want?

I'd like to know this too.  That non-destructive crop is giving me fits in Resize Canvas.  I don't really see the need for it to begin with.  If I make a mistake, or change my mind about the amount I removed, there's always Undo.  But maybe there's a benefit I just don't know about.  If so, an option would be good for those times when we really really don't want those pixels anymore.

Update:  Oh goodie, just cross-posted with MEB.

Oh, ok... Rasterize layer... not very, very obvious but... when you think of it... ;-)
However, like I posted before about the Clip Canvas and Unclip Canvas... those commands are not very intuitive.
And I bet (if I was a betting man [;)] ) that almost 100% of the people using Affinity Photo went to the Clip Canvas command to try to get rid of the pixels that were hidden with the Crop tool, only to find out that it behaves like the "Reveal All" of Photoshop. And thought: WOW!!! Something that is called Clip Canvas and unclips it?!?

• Staff

Rasterising the layer is not the solution, just a workaround i suggested.

In the beginning there was an option to get rid of the extra pixels in the context bar for the Crop Tool but it wasn't working as it should and was removed.

I don't have more concrete details, but i believe we will take a look at this later.

Nice to know that others agree.

I understand that rasterizing removes vector attributes and can see why it is a temporary solution

As I was checking this it seems you cannot crop a group. Is that correct? Has cropping groups ever been considered before?

This is useful when you want to show someone just part of what you are working on - in my case for security reasons.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0