BigStef

Black Overprint regression

I already love most of features in the 1.8 version.

But is there any considerations for the differents topics I opened about the Black Text overprint? This IS really well working in 1.7... 

The screenshot joined here is generated with 1.8 version.
As you can see, black text is NOT overprinting background, while it is filled with a swatch "CMYB 0 0 0 100% overprint".

This is one of the rare thing that make me scared about this update...

black-overprint.jpg

Hi @BigStef,

I've exported the attached file and dropbox file and it seems to be alright for me, I've attached my export of the attachment, where if you disable K in the output preview the only bits without overprint seem to be where the filter effect is used, I don't get the output shown in your linked thread. The text in the file you uploaded to dropbox also seems fine.

I've uploaded my exported PDF.

test-cmyk-shadow-v-1-8 (4).pdf

Hi Jon. Thank you so much for your time spent here :)

I have opened your file and effectively, (despite the font issue :) ), black typo is overprinting the background. I join a screenshot here because there's something I do not understand

• On left your file just open (nothing modified),
  • on the right, the profil FOGRA39 applied (the same profil as your!) with Acrobat, and text no more overprinting.

Have you any explaination for that ?

Note the shadow under text and the Overlay "Multiply" 50% that do not print properly (on your PDF).

Plus the fact that I can not reproduce it on my computer. So i join a second screenshot with the PDF params as my printer want it. (Note that I maintain the fact that the same export with 1.7 has no problemo, but appear when the export is done under 1.8 and exactly same parameters). 

I probably do not understand something here, but i can not find what...

pdf-params-1-8.png

compare-jonp-profil.jpg

@BigStef I think, in Acrobat, you have to check "simulate overprint" for Acro to display the correct black.

Also: your settings-screenshot is not the same as your attached pdf, as it looks like PDFx4 and not just "pdf1.4".

(The difference is that pdfX includes the correct output intent (fogra39) for Acrobat, but with your settings (pdf1.4) I get a PDF which defaults to SWOP in Acrobat until I change it there.)

18139396_Bildschirmfoto2020-02-17um16_40_20.png.7c30e91e90918a210d2c02261d53e0ce.png1594685672_Bildschirmfoto2020-02-17um16_51_30.png.8d620b0ba0aff43f9f429fbf01f34e1b.png

It is odd that changing from Output Intent: FOGRA39 to simply FOGRA39 in Acrobat is changing how the overprint works but at a guess Adobe might only simulate overprint to the current output intent profile? Trying to find search for an answer from Adobes help but not had much luck. Either way I'm not sure we are doing much wrong here.

The filter effect stopping the overprint is the Gaussian Blur which is effecting the overprint when it overlaps with the text. I can see what's happening here and have logged it for a developer to look at a bit further.

Woefi's observations are definitely worth noting too!

@Jon P as a side note or maybe off-topic: do you know, why we cannot choose the PDF-X standard and PDF version independently? (Maybe adobe was doing it just wrong the whole time...😏)

904381731_Bildschirmfoto2020-02-17um17_16_46.png.fd28672457d089b7382ea1b1b6da8df7.png

6 minutes ago, woefi said:

@Jon P as a side note or maybe off-topic: do you know, why we cannot choose the PDF-X standard and PDF version independently? (Maybe adobe was doing it just wrong the whole time...😏)

904381731_Bildschirmfoto2020-02-17um17_16_46.png.fd28672457d089b7382ea1b1b6da8df7.png

PDF/X-4:2008 should only be using 1.6 compatibility. That Adobe allows one to modify the compatibility (and hence disables the Standard) is immaterial. Once one does that Adobe applications discard the standard (and therefore the internal preflight checking at time of output)and produce a simple compatibility PDF, which one can do in Affinity applications as well starting with say PDF (for Print).

49 minutes ago, woefi said:

you have to check "simulate overprint"

hi @woefi , first, thank you for your implication here :)

The "Simulate Overprint" is already check on my screenshot (in french "Simulation de la surimpression"). So, no worry here...

But I'm still lost with the PDF Generating as I can't reproduce your PDF, even with your PDFx4 preset copied from your screenshot. The black text is not overprinting the background on my side.

This is why that 1.8 version make me scared : I've been generating PDF to print for now 20 years (Xpress and Indesign) but I can't do it correctly with Affinity Publisher 1.8 (with 1.7 i have no problem except the shadow effect issu which is easy to bypass).

I'm not saying Publisher is the cause but the fact is that I was pretty sure of myself and today I have to question everything again... somelike a reboot :) .

On 2/17/2020 at 8:00 AM, Jon P said:

It is odd that changing from Output Intent: FOGRA39 to simply FOGRA39 in Acrobat is changing how the overprint works but at a guess Adobe might only simulate overprint to the current output intent profile? ...

If an output intent is included in a PDF, Acrobat expects that accurate rendering only occur using that intent. One can, using pdf 1.7 and choosing not to include a profile, switch between the output intents and still honor overprint, etc. Just the tonal values change in appearance.

On 2/17/2020 at 8:00 AM, Jon P said:

... Either way I'm not sure we are doing much wrong here. ...

Such a loaded phrase ... 🤣

So I'm out on a walk when it hits me that I wasn't as clear as I ought  to have been in my above post...

I meant my comments to be restricted to (probably) Serif applications only.