You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Combining two vectors into back-to-back image

Howdy folks. 

Currently working on a piece of fictional currency as a prop, but I want to print both the back of the banknote and the front without having to cut them out later. Is there anyway I can "combine" the two pieces so that the paper prints it double-sided at the right proportions? Screenshot attached for context.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, let me know if you need clarification. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 1.52.06 AM.png

Your printer would need to have borderless printing and duplex printing either manually or automatically. The document size is important, if it is a non standard size i.e not A5, or A6 etc you would have to cut the bank note dimensions out of a stock paper anyway, you may also want to set a bleed around the banknote. 

Do a test print to see how it prints.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On a side note (excuse the pun) if you want a rosette I have a few like this.
1077571110_ScreenShot2020-02-12at07_47_40.png.3347abe71d69c511f92faca69e06b1d0.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@Elluvon,  I have done something similar when creating two-sided card cut-outs for children's activities. You do not need a print-to-edge printer as you will be cutting out the final print-out. What I did was to print out the two sides backed onto thin paper, then hold it up to the light to see how it aligned. Then I adjusted the positioning of each to align them. For these early versions, you only need an outline. Once you have the alignment right, you can add the detail.

You don't even need a duplex printer provided that you can work out how to print one image onto the back of the other (this took some trial and error on my Brother laser printer).

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Duplex printing makes life easier though, especially auto mode like on my HP OfficeJet 8620, but as John has pointed out, you don't need to have it. Actually I'm just helping my friend make some wedding invites and I used the layered paper in front of light test to make sure some holes for ribbon lined up, actually an A4 Lightbox is great for this. 

Maybe let us know which printer you are using to see if it has any helpful capabilities.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:02 AM, firstdefence said:

Duplex printing makes life easier though, especially auto mode like on my HP OfficeJet 8620, but as John has pointed out, you don't need to have it. Actually I'm just helping my friend make some wedding invites and I used the layered paper in front of light test to make sure some holes for ribbon lined up, actually an A4 Lightbox is great for this. 

Maybe let us know which printer you are using to see if it has any helpful capabilities.

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8620

7 hours ago, Elluvon said:

I would appreciate that, where could I find them?

Here are nine rosettes with backgrounds and a couple of frames. Going to be making some more Guilloche patterns later on. 

Guilloche.afassets

10 hours ago, Elluvon said:

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8620

Welcome to the 8620 club 😉 Duplex printing should be a simple affair but not from Affinity Designer, the reason is Affinity Designer doesn't use pages, it uses Layers or Artboards and while Artboards might appear to be pages, they are not.

Duplex printing requires pages and you won't be surprised to hear at least two of them 🙂. So, this is made much easier in Affinity Publisher because Affinity Publisher uses pages. You don't have to have Affinity Publisher, you can use any software that uses pages.

If you export your the front and back of the playnote to separate PDF's and then import them on an A4 page so you can get as many as you can fit on the A4 page, so the front would go on page 1 and the back would be on page 2, if the play notes are central to the paper that makes life easier, as the play notes back can also be central and you are then good to go on duplex printing. All you need to do then is click on print to get the printer dialogue up and check the two-sided option box. 

1. In this demo I created an A4 document
  2. Placed the exported front PDF centrally on the page, I made the playnote 130x70mm which is a similar size to a UK £10
  3. I duplicated it twice to get 3 front playnotes on the page
  4. I repeated step 3. for the second page and the back of the playnote
  5. I checked the Two-sided check box and clicked print

531172039_ScreenShot2020-02-14at10_36_16.png.2fbcb8e9654e45f9d1929c65ceb7d0c4.png

Mostly just curious but what kind of production will these prop banknotes be used in? How many copies do you anticipate needing?

I ask because for some productions precision-aligned double-sided printing may not be necessary, like for stage plays or videos where they are never in any closeup shots, so the audience would not notice if some only had printing on one side or the front-back alignment was off.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

How many copies do you anticipate needing?

I'm guessing about 10 million 😉

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I'm guessing about 10 million

It's a licence to print money. :o

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

32 minutes ago, h_d said:

It's a licence to print money. :o

Sure, but it would take a lot more than just printing it on regular paper stock with standard inks to make it look & feel like the real thing.

As a theatrical prop that the audience never sees up close or handles, that is not important. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7