You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Info Panel dimensions blank

Hi,

OSX 10.14.6 AfPh 1.7.3

Currently the info panel doesn't display any dimension information. 

Image size is displayed in the status bar with the Pan tool selected.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Additional:

On computer restart AfPh displays size info for 1 file only.

If a second file is opened it shows the same dimensions as the first file.

The status bar shows the correct size for both files.

If you're talking about the H, W, D, and A fields in the Info panel I never see anything in them on Windows.

I don't understand what they're supposed to show. The Help says they're the relative height, width, distance, and angle. But relative to what? And what distance or angle should be displayed?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You can set a target position on an image

Whenever you then move a target position its height, width, distance and angle will be displayed relative to its last position

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

The Info panel doesn't display image dimensions - they're in the Transform panel. The Help documentation gives a description of what the Info panel does - it's mainly to do with colour sampling.

If you set and then move a target, you'll see the H, W, D and A values update in the Info panel:

1443089762_Screenshot2020-01-31at14_18_07.thumb.png.7cc8914e89783204af529d5f11019962.png

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Hi Carl & H

Thanks. that explains how the panel works.

But... Why?

How is that information useful.

The Transform panel is only active with a selection active and only gives dimensions.

How do I see the document size (in either cm or inches), resolution and bit depth displayed without opening the resize document menu option?

thanks

37 minutes ago, SP40 said:

How do I see the document size (in either cm or inches), resolution and bit depth displayed without opening the resize document menu option?

With the View Tool (the Hand) selected, all of that is in the Context Toolbar, except that the size is in px.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Part of the problem is that Photo is designed to work with pixels so that information about document size is (arbitrarily) set by the ppi/dpi resolution and the number of pixels in the x, y dimensions. In other words the application is working with pixels which can be set to any physical size, one pixel = 1/300th of an inch or one pixel = three inches so document size in inches or cm is almost meaningless.

It is almost like the question "How long is a piece of string?"

If you know how big you want a document to be in inches set up the document that size, if you don't yet know how big the document is going to be just work at max resolution and then resize it later. Sorry that there is no easy way to do what you want but that is the nature of a digital photo, when I develop a raw file from my camera I have an image size of 4 x 6 feet at 72 ppi. I am never going to print it out that large though.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

HI Walt & Old Bruce,

thanks for replying.

Yes I get the the idea of using pixel dimensions. However I work with multiple copies of files for different outputs, It is much easier to check this using dimensions & resolution rather than pixels.

It seems the answer to my question "How do I see the document size (in either cm or inches), resolution and bit depth displayed without opening the resize document menu option?"

Is, you can't do it.

OK I'll adapt my workflow.

best