You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to measure the same distance

Using the snap function, I pulled a guide line from the "Ruler" on the side and easily found the middle of the image - there I drew a white dividing line. But now I have to place two icons at the same distance from this center line - how do I do that? For example, I want to place the right (highlighted) icon at exactly the same distance from the white line as the left (not highlighted) icon - but the object snap function does not help to do this. You have to read the distance manually using the "Ruler" above. Perhaps there is a simpler way?

Снимок экрана 2020-01-08 в 21.47.01.png

I have always found it easiest to draw a box the size of the rectangle from the right side of the left object to the center of the line. Then double the width (and center if needed.) Pull the right object left and kill the square or I will often keep it for other adjustments.

Good luck to us all!

53 minutes ago, qaz said:

But now I have to place two icons at the same distance from this center line - how do I do that?

Well what I do in such cases is ...

• Re adjust the rulers center 0 point to the middle of the drawing (by draging the px to the middle of image)
  • Set a visable vertical 0 point ruler help indicator line there
  • Move the first object for the right side to the desired X-pos +xxx via the transform panel (anchor point top left)
  • Move the second object for the left side to the desired X-pos -xxx via the transform panel (anchor point top right)

center_draw.thumb.jpg.23aff7ce8a08161d613c2c516a277825.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

10 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Set a visable vertical 0 point ruler help indicator line there

I'm sorry for the possibly stupid question, but how do I do that? I can't find how to "move" the horizontal ruler so that "0" on it is in the center of the image (I have "0" displayed on the left border of the image).

Снимок экрана 2020-01-12 в 11.50.48.png

I think they might mean something like: “drag a vertical guide from the ruler to the 0 X coordinate”.
However, use the correct Snapping settings – as I mentioned above – and you don’t need to do any of that (unless I’ve misunderstood your requirements).

35 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You can do this easily with Snapping but you need to have the right settings checked.
The “Page layouts with objects” preset should give you what you need, see attached GIF.
No manual adjustments required; quick and easy.

Thank you, but you seem to be using another program (most likely Affinity Designer). In my Affinity Photo, it doesn't work like that :(

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

I think they might mean something like: “drag a vertical guide from the ruler to the 0 X coordinate”.
However, use the correct Snapping settings – as I mentioned above – and you don’t need to do any of that (unless I’ve misunderstood your requirements).

You got it right, thanks for the answer, but for some reason it doesn't work like that, I sent the video above.

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Apologies, my mistake entirely.
I didn’t spot that you were using Photo.
I bounce between them so much I get confused sometimes.

Don't worry, it's my mistake too - I should have mentioned it in the description, not just a screenshot.

46 minutes ago, qaz said:

I'm sorry for the possibly stupid question, but how do I do that? I can't find how to "move" the horizontal ruler so that "0" on it is in the center of the image (I have "0" displayed on the left border of the image).

Just click on the little px on the left ruler side, hold it pressed and drag then the ruler scale towards the center !!!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

3 minutes ago, qaz said:

Thank you, I did it.

When moving/positioning objects now to the left -X side via the transformation panel settings, don't forget to alter/select the wanted anchor point first befor applying any negative -X positioning values.

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Just click on the little px on the left ruler side, hold it pressed and drag then the ruler scale towards the center !!!

Or exactly value in View, Guides Manager, Spread Origin.

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/pages/DesignAids/rulers.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Or exactly value in View, Guides Manager, Spread Origin.

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/pages/DesignAids/rulers.html

Which BTW is the only way to change/set the origin for both the x- and y-axes, since via dragging the rulers, the other axis will always be reset to it's origin (at least for me under OSX, probably a bug here).

18 hours ago, qaz said:

I have to place two icons at the same distance from this center line - how do I do that?

Easy as 1, 2, 3 then drag. You have your centre line guide and your left guide draw a rectangle with snap to guides on (1) then move it to the right (2) then drag a guide out (3) and move your right icon over to the guide.

912553921_ScreenShot2020-01-12at8_19_13AM.png.5ca366fc7b43343313e23e69384553a3.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 1/12/2020 at 12:59 PM, v_kyr said:

When moving/positioning objects now to the left -X side via the transformation panel settings, don't forget to alter/select the wanted anchor point first befor applying any negative -X positioning values.

Of course, I guessed it :) Thank you

On 1/12/2020 at 6:24 PM, Old Bruce said:

Easy as 1, 2, 3 then drag. You have your centre line guide and your left guide draw a rectangle with snap to guides on (1) then move it to the right (2) then drag a guide out (3) and move your right icon over to the guide.

912553921_ScreenShot2020-01-12at8_19_13AM.png.5ca366fc7b43343313e23e69384553a3.png

Thank you, this is a quite original alternative way