You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The other day, I was editing a small project that required me to Resize the Canvas in order to Paste two images side by side. I tried without complete success to copy the dimensions of the first image (chosen at random from the two). The images were of very similar things of nearly the exact size and definitely of the same shape, rectangular.

For a reason I couldn't figure out, I was unable to have the second image's dimensions match those of the first--but no matter. My goal had been to use an Ellipse Shape to select a small part of one image and a small part of the second, half-and-half.

I know that Shapes are not selection tools. However, I had thought that if I used the Ellipse shape as a Layer, setting the Opacity to 0%, I would be able to "Crop" the joined images. I was not able to do this.

So I would like to know if there is any way to apply a circle shape (using the Ellipse tool) to underlying Layers so that the circle/Ellipse can be the shape of the final, edited image.

Thanks!

In which application do you try to achieve this? Left half of the ellipse should have one image, the other half of the ellipse should have the other image?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

@Joachim_L  Thank you for asking. In regard to which application I was using, I was using Affinity Photo.

• My first Layer (which I won't attach for privacy reasons) was a Pixel Layer of a standardized U.S. road sign.
  • My second was of the Resized Canvas, containing the two nearly identical signs (in terms of standardized federal dimensions).
  • My third was an Ellipse Shape.

Setting the Opacity to 0%, the circle/Ellipse remained opaque; I was not able to use it as... I suppose as a Mask, or if not a Mask, a way of Selecting an exact circle from the joined road signs.

So I abandoned the project and used one single image.

Are you trying to do this but with signs?

ysM0XH.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@GarryP My gosh, that is wonderful! Okay, that is what I just did, and it worked. No question that it worked (and for that matter, so did First Defence's). I just want to know why it works. Why did I have to make the lower layer(s) a Child layer? (Is that in fact what I/You/FirstDefence did?) I would also like to know why keeping all three layers as Layers in their own right, and making the Ellipse's Opacity 0%would not work. 

Gorgeous GIF. THANK ou.

When you make the image layers child layers of the ellipse, the images are clipped by the ellipse. This means that the parts of the images that are outside the shape of the ellipse won’t be visible.

When you set the opacity of the ellipse you are only affecting the ellipse and not the other layers.

There are no written tutorials as far as I know.
Basically the process is, from scratch:
1. Draw the ellipse.
2. Place and size the first image.
3. Place and size the second image.
4. Drag the first image into the ellipse.
5. Drag the second image into the ellipse.
6. Open the layers of the ellipse layer.
7. Select the top image layer within the ellipse (not the ellipse itself).
8. Add a Mask Layer.
9. Select the Paint Brush Tool.
10. Select a good round brush from the Brushes.
11. Make sure you have Black as the selected colour.
12. Paint on the mask to make the bottom image layer show through.

You can also achieve a similar thing using a Compound shape with the Erase Blend Mode as shown in the attached image (the two images are also cropped in this case but that’s not always required).

Annotation 2020-01-09 122933.png

1 hour ago, American said:

possible for anyone to include a written explanation of the above gentleman's and FirstDefence's illustrations

You are essentially just cutting up a picture and sticking it on top of a second image then cutting then into a circle. By using a mask on the top image you don't destroy that picture, by using the ellipse to clip the two together you don't destroy the two pictures. You can move them around and resize them even re-mask them to your heart's content.

Two pictures one with a mask which cuts off one side of it letting the lower image show through. Then they are arranged in a pleasing manner.  The ellipse cuts out the stuff on the sides/top/bottom of both images.

(It is real early here so I hope I haven't confuzzled you more [smiley face emoticon] [morning cup of coffee emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old Bruce Thank you! This is a very good explanation. I do not "get" how you can create a Mask so that you have an exact straight line through the circle. For that matter, I don't understand how @firstdefence got the two ladies' to look as if they were photographed together. 

In my case, I had vertical "lines" already in place, as I had Resized the Canvas to join two road signs. 

But all of the responses I have gotten have not been doing this. So if one of you fellows (or ladies?) could explain how you get a Mask to have an exact line through the circle, as @GarryP i, I would be very grateful. 

After all, Valentine's Day is coming, and I'd like to be gazing into Gramma Simpson's eyes. O.o

? GarryP showed you in a video to make it with fading. As for a hard divide of a circle I (me) would use a different approach.

1. Start with the Pie Tool. To make a half ellipse: Start angle 90°, End angle 270°, Total angle 180°

2. Copy and paste the half ellipse.

3. Rotate the second half ellipse with 180° and move them together, that you see a full circle.

4. Click on half circle and click the Place inside the Selection from the top of your toolbar.

5. Place an image and click the half circle you selected in step 4.

6. Do this for the other half circle.

You can now move your images or scale your images inside the half circles without erasing something.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Joachim_L just got in before me but their method might be more useful to you than the cropping I mentioned.
However, you might find that you get a very small line between the images sometimes if the shapes aren’t perfectly aligned, see attached image (you might need to zoom in).
This might not be a problem for you though so probably better to learn lots of different ways so you have choices in the future.

Annotation 2020-01-10 101314.png

@Joachim_L and @GarryP  Thank you, gentlemen. The problem with being a non-professional Affinity user is that one can watch all the video tutorials in the world (or at least on YouTube or Vimeo), and... In the U.S., we have a saying when you go to the grocery store to buy a carton of milk. You come out with maybe a hundred dollars' worth of food and stuff, you get in your car, and then you remember you forgot the milk. That is exactly what it's like when you're under time-constraints to do a photo-editing chore like "make me a circular avatar with two pictures joined together." 

As I am the only one in my circle xD who even knows the meaning of "photo editing," I am often faced with the simplest jobs that I am clueless about. Joachim_L for example (I think it was he) helped me "gradient-ise" text last month. GarryP probably was who helped me when my Erase Brush Tool wouldn't erase. 

These are all EXCESSIVELY simple editing tasks that don't interest video tutorial makers.

I am 101% certain the next post I will make will be for someone to explain the difference between the four major Paste options.

Thanks again.

On 1/9/2020 at 9:46 AM, American said:

Umm, I was hoping for some explanation of FirstDefence's illustration above. I don't understand it and how it differed from the project I abandoned. 

He/She seems to have made Child Layers of the two edited photos. Is that correct?

Thank you.

sorry, had to go into hospital for a small surgery op and they kept me in :67_head_bandage:

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

sorry, had to go into hospital for a small surgery op and they kept me in :67_head_bandage:

Hope you are on the mend.   Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Thanks Ewoks, yes I'm on the mend, slimmer, lighter and prettier hahaha!