You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

what does the -1 mean in the color chooser

When I have the color chooser dialogue box open - on the very bottom it shows some colors of the main color with -2, -1 and then the main color and then +1 and +2 - what is meaning behind these values and how do I access?

For example: the main color is not the same as the color I am trying to achieve - but in looking at the -1 variation - thats the color I want - but how do I access (find) those values?

Color Chooser 2019-11-23 16-13-44.png

What App are you using? I've seen those references before, but not in AP, I think it was when I was using PS. I've looked in all the apps I currently have, and can not find it. I think those are referring to luminosity. Have you tried clicking on the -1 to see if any of the values changed? 

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

28 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

What App are you using? I've seen those references before, but not in AP

Hi Ron, it is in AP, you need to be in 32bit then double click on the active colour well in the colour tab... but I can not make any sense from it, when I click on the -1 it will select it but the colour well then goes black O.o

A bit of fiddling around and worked out that if you manually type -1 in the intensity box it will change the colour well to that colour

Edited by Murfee
Added comment

I think they will relate to Stop sizes/values, like stopping down a camera or bracketing to see how a colour would look. There is a very similar colour picker option in Photoshop when editing a 32bit file.

Found an image for PS 32bit colour picker, that, in all probability, explains the Affinity colour panel too.screen-shot-2011-03-16-at-12-54-41-pm.png.1489e84d0f010b209faca122725e1c4f.png
http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/3101-1901/Help_guide/tp/Foreground-background.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi All:

Thanks for all of your input.

I am using Affinity Designer. And I also thought it had something to do with the luminosity - but I can't change the intensity level to -1. Is there any place someone can point me to to change the intensity/luminosity settings in Affinity Designer?

Thank you.

@Benecia The intensity slider will work if you have a rasterised layer, so say you create a rectangle and fill it with orange, you will need to rasterise that rectangle layer, then the intensity slider will move correctly. 

It would be nice to have James Ritson do a tutorial on it's use. Hint! Hint!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Just my two cents worth here. I think the coloured bars with the +/- numbers are indicators of what the change from the intensity slider will give you for those settings. Clicking on the bars gives me either black or white in the colour well, whereas using the intensity slider gives me a variation in the colour well. Must be some sort of bug.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 hours ago, Benecia said:

Yes I've tried using the intensity slider - but nothing "stays" it just moves back to the default of 0.

I agree, it must be a bug?

Do you have the object selected while you work with the colour picker? I couldn't get the values to change when I had an object selected, I changed the colour and the 'eye dropper' colour changed then I selected the object and clicked the small colour spot to transfer it to the object. This is in the Colour Panel, not the big temporary colour picker with the problems.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.