You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master-Pages: is it me or the software?

Hi,

- create a new document, 5 pages, everything else left at default
            its possible to move around the Pages with the Hand-Tool (View-Tool).

- create a new Master ("Master B") - just using the default settings - click OK.
            the new Master-Spread is now shown

- click on any of the (Content-)Pages to show them and try to use the Hand/View-Tool to move the View around - does not work ... (Wheel-Zoom does work)

...UNTIL you add new content to the visible page.

??
Bug or user-mistake?

kind regards
Fritz

14 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

Hi,

- create a new document, 5 pages, everything else left at default
            its possible to move around the Pages with the Hand-Tool (View-Tool).

- create a new Master ("Master B") - just using the default settings - click OK.
            the new Master-Spread is now shown

- click on any of the (Content-)Pages to show them and try to use the Hand/View-Tool to move the View around - does not work ... (Wheel-Zoom does work)

...UNTIL you add new content to the visible page.

??
Bug or user-mistake?

kind regards
Fritz

Hi @Fritz_H,

there is a difference between clicking once on a page in the pages panel and double clicking on a page. Clicking once only selects that page but does not bring it into view. Only double clicking does so. I am not quite sure if this solves your problem, but this is what came first to my mind.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

18 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hi @Fritz_H,

there is a difference between clicking once on a page in the pages panel and double clicking on a page. Clicking once only selects that page but does not bring it into view. Only double clicking does so. I am not quite sure if this solves your problem, but this is what came first to my mind.

d.

@dominik

Thanks for your reply, but even double-clicking does not help - just try it yourself.

kind regards
Fritz

1 hour ago, Fritz_H said:

Thanks for your reply, but even double-clicking does not help - just try it yourself.

Hi @Fritz_H,

back at my Affinity computer and tried what you describe in your first post. I cannot reproduce a 'and try to use the Hand/View-Tool to move the View around - does not work'.
It just seems to work here. I think we have to further figure out what you are doing.

Here's the steps I tried:

• Create a new A4 document with 5 pages set to 'facing pages'.
  • In the Pages panel open the Master Pages section and click on the icon to add a master page.
  • This Master B spread is shown in the main window.
  • To use the same zoom level I hit CTRL+1 and zoom to 100% view.
  • Switch to the hand tool by clicking on the icon (or hit 'h') and move the master page around.
  • Double click on the page numbers of Pages 2,3 to bring them into view. The hand tool is still selected.
  • Again hit CTRL+1 to be at the same zoom level and use the hand tool to move around.

This works as expected. What are you by any chance doing different?

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

2 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @Fritz_H,

back at my Affinity computer and tried what you describe in your first post. I cannot reproduce a 'and try to use the Hand/View-Tool to move the View around - does not work'.
It just seems to work here. I think we have to further figure out what you are doing.

@dominik 

Hi, Please take a look at the animated GIF, Thanks.

Master-Page-Issue.thumb.gif.e63611c6b0039c78d76847153030d951.gif

kind regards,
Fritz

7 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

Hi, Please take a look at the animated GIF, Thanks.

Hi @Fritz_H,

thank you. This is more than I can provide.

It seems you can move pages with the hand tool up and down but not from left to right.
I can do this. I can move pages very smoothly all around. Up, down, left and right.

I'm not saying you are doing something wrong. Your video/gif shows very well the limitations you experience. There must be something elso going on. I am baffled.

Let's wait and see if someone else will chime in an can shed some light on this.

Cheers,
d.

I see the same behavior in the Publisher beta (1.8.0.499) but not in Publisher retail (1.7.3.481).

With 2 master pages, the amount of vertical scroll while using the View Tool (the hand) is restricted in the beta, but not in the retail version. In the beta I have to zoom out to make more pages available in order to scroll fully through the pages using the View Tool.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

@Fritz_H

This is not generically a problem for us here. We get the short scroll bar but the hand pan tool will scroll past the end of the scroll unlike for you. What OS are you on?

<Edit I am on beta #502 so that may be important too, will check tomorrow and see if #499 is part of the recipe>

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 11/12/2019 at 6:38 PM, Patrick Connor said:

@Fritz_H

<Edit I am on beta #502 so that may be important too, will check tomorrow and see if #499 is part of the recipe>

@Patrick Connor 

Status-Update:  installed Beta 502 - issue still present
Did the CTRL-APP-Lauch - magic and selected to reset all options:  issue gone  :-)

kind regards
Fritz

8 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

Did the CTRL-APP-Lauch - magic and selected to reset all options:  issue gone  :-)

Hi @Fritz_H,

good to see that it turned out to be some kind of hiccup :)

d.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.