You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Interlocking Rings With Offset

I've figured out how to create overlapping rings with offsets, and I can create interlocking rings without an offset. I can't figure out how to combine both. Here is a vid of it being done in Illustrator. As always, any help is appreciated. 

Overlapping With Offset

1174146177_OverlappingWithOffset.thumb.JPG.dc1dd441c17fbf69e054a89b78bbc61a.JPG

Interlocking Without Offset

1270435668_InterlockingWithoutOffset.thumb.JPG.32b1dde825c779925e1c96f870fb758e.JPG

So you want some of the rings to have offsets and some without offsets in the same graphic?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 minutes ago, MickRose said:

Its easy if you don't want an outline. Just use a Donut copy of each ring and rotate/tweak as required. Anyone know how to put a proper outline on this?

image.png.596d9d258fb5e216ded7016110f79327.png

Yes, Interlocking the rings as you've done here is the easy part. Interlocking them with the offset (outline, as you refer to it) is what I'm trying to accomplish. 

It's way easy in Illustrator. Your example is actually wrong according to the video, your red circle needs to go under the yellow on the right part, anyhoo...

I've done this using donuts with a fill and donuts with a stroke and then layered them to get this.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-08-at-18-22-58.png

Epic donut test.afdesign

Just don't put this on anything other than a white Background lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

It's way easy in Illustrator. Your example is actually wrong according to the video, your red circle needs to go under the yellow on the right part, anyhoo...

I've done this using donuts with a fill and donuts with a stroke and then layered them to get this.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-08-at-18-22-58.png

Epic donut test.afdesign

Last night, I tried expanding the stroke and then dividing all of the parts. It was a nightmare. It divided the stroke into hundred of tiny slivers that I couldn't even see until I zoomed way in. Illustrator's Shape-Builder makes AD almost useless in comparison for this type of function. I'd love to see a screencast of how you did this process in AD. Thanks for the post. 

Made a few tweaks and now it will work on a coloured Background: Epic donut test but works on any background.afdesign

Screen-Shot-2019-11-08-at-18-39-19.png

8 minutes ago, KCP said:

Last night, I tried expanding the stroke and then dividing all of the parts. It was a nightmare. It divided the stroke into hundred of tiny slivers that I couldn't even see until I zoomed way in. Illustrator's Shape-Builder makes AD almost useless in comparison for this type of function. I'd love to see a screencast of how you did this process in AD. Thanks for the post. 

It took some thinking out but now I know how to do it it's fairly easy to do. The best part is it's all editable.

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

It took some thinking out but now I know how to do it it's fairly easy to do. The best part is it's all editable.

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

It doesn't look like you expanded the strokes.

GIF starts after the ring set is created. Outside strokes (that's your offset). 
• expand strokes
• subtract, subtract, subtract
• divide, divide, divide
• select crossover pieces, delete
• recombine like colors
The trick is to do the divides separately.
(destructive, but with transparent spaces (still all vector though)....as in the Pshop example above. The shapebuilder method, as powerful as that tool is, actually kinda seems like the long way around in this case B|)

201198448_lockingrings.gif.7285c0de7dd024ab53e2f4ae8f3bdce7.gif

I suppose with my method all you need to do is make the stroke the same colour as the background, although it wouldn't really work with a pattern background very well. :D

Although it is possible.
Screen-Shot-2019-11-08-at-22-39-41.png

On 11/8/2019 at 2:25 PM, JimmyJack said:

GIF starts after the ring set is created. Outside strokes (that's your offset). 
• expand strokes
• subtract, subtract, subtract
• divide, divide, divide
• select crossover pieces, delete
• recombine like colors
The trick is to do the divides separately.
(destructive, but with transparent spaces (still all vector though)....as in the Pshop example above. The shapebuilder method, as powerful as that tool is, actually kinda seems like the long way around in this case B|)

201198448_lockingrings.gif.7285c0de7dd024ab53e2f4ae8f3bdce7.gif

Jimmy Jack,

Thank you for this GIF. It was exactly what I needed to solve this problem. Chrome is my default browser, although I remembered from back in the day that you can pause and restart GIFS in Internet Explorer. That enabled me to dissect your GIF essentially frame-by-frame and follow your process. AD is not as robust as Illustrator, although I'm not currently in production mode and couldn't justify paying Adobe's annual subscription price anymore. I've used Adobe since the nineties, so this Affinity learning curve can be frustrating, although there seem to be hacks for everything I've encountered, so far. This forum is proving to be indispensable. I hope that I'll eventually know this software well enough to return the favor. 

Thanks again,

KC

INTERLOCKING_RINGS_WITH_OFFSET_SUCCESS.thumb.JPG.d88349a02fcb0a465b4d68079bb9db49.JPG