You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo Plugins

will i be able to use photoshop plugins such as quixel ( the plugin suite for 3d artists that helps to make normal maps, and other texturing functions) inside of affinity photo ? this is a big thing for me as I am a young 3d artists, and can't afford the price of photoshop. 

• Staff

Photoshop plugins are supported but it's an area of the app our devs are still improving. You can find more information here.

Which quixel plugin are you trying to use? Their website states that their suite isn't yet compatible with OS X.

Leigh:

I know the plugin support is coming, and I can wait, but I was wondering if there was any tentative schedule as to when we could expect high profile plugins like Topaz and NIK to function properly. Not a hard-and-fast drop-dead date, but some kind of indication as to whether we are taking about 3 weeks or 3 months.

Since launch is coming in 3 days it would be nice to know if we could expect normal plugin functionality in the near or far future.

I have no news at the moment, but we should have more information tomorrow when the app is released.

Leigh:

Well, the app was released 2 days ago (in the US, 3 days ago in other places) and we still have no more information about when the plugin functionality will be available. Is there anything you can find out?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner MikeFromMessa! You most probably already know this but Topaz & Google's Nik Collection are the two plugins that we know work with AFP. Now that we've launched the app, we can begin to talk to plugin developers to see what is needed for Affinity Photo to work with their plugins. When we have more information, I'm sure Andy will make a post about it.

are the two plugins that we know work with AFP. 

What are you saying here? That these are the two plugins that already work with AP? Or that these are the two plugins that you will know have to work with AP?

It sounds like the former but that is not true. I have some Topaz plugins and Clarity causes a crash every time it runs and ReMask will not even launch.

Hi Guys

So far I have had no plugin work with Affinity photo. I have tried the following and although they appear in the filter submenu, they are now all greyed out.

FocusMagic64.plugin [initially caused multiple crashes]

NeatImage.plugin

Perfect Effects 9.plugin

ToneMapping.plugin [HDRsoft]

PTLensPhotoshop.plugin

Putting them in the library under com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/ data/ library/ applications support/ plugins gives the same result as having them in another search folder.

Can you shed any light?

Hi Guys

So far I have had no plugin work with Affinity photo. I have tried the following and although they appear in the filter submenu, they are now all greyed out.

FocusMagic64.plugin [initially caused multiple crashes]

NeatImage.plugin

Perfect Effects 9.plugin

PTLensPhotoshop.plugin

Putting them in the library under com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/ data/ library/ applications support/ plugins gives the same result as having them in another search folder.

Can you shed any light?

Perfect Effects 9.plugin

None of the OnOne plugins will work. They are designed to run through the PS Automation interface and AP does not seem to have any plans to implement that. It is a shame because a simple external app interface would allow someone to run all of the OnOne stuff. I would like that.

I assume you are referring to the Photomatix plugin from HDRSoft. Yes, that also works through the PS Automation Interface.

PTLensPhotoshop.plugin

PTLens had a PTLensEdit plugin that I thought might work but I don't have it on my system. Since I use Optics Pro as a workflow tool and since it automatically adjusts for lens correction for all of my lenses, I have not looked into this.

That is an interesting thought and I have not (yet) tried that. It would be nice to have a central location and my Topaz plugins work differently depending upon where they are located.

​I have asked repeatedly for an external editor interface so much of these problems could be bypassed by using the external app for the plugins, but without any success. Topaz has those, OnOne of course, Photomatix and PTLens. I am not familiar with NeatImage and FocusMagic.

I bought NeatImage a few years ago (I already updated twice) and it is an amazing plugin. I really would love to have it working in Affinity Photo.

http://www.neatimage.com/

Out of curiosity I downloaded NeatImage and installed it on my system to use as a trial. Since it would not work for you in AP I was sure it would not work for me as well, but I was curious if it would work when run through photoFXlab which is Topaz's platform for running plugins from pixel editors. As I have mentioned in other posts all of my Topaz plugins run when called from photoFXlab and it (photoFXlab) does run when called from AP and that is the way I have to use my Topaz plugins for now. Topaz advertises that photoFXlab will also run 3rd party plugins as well so I thought I would give it a try, even though its history of success with other plugins has been spotty.

I loaded a tiff, called the photoFXlab plugin and added NeatImage to it as an additional plugin. I then tried to call it but got an error telling me that the trial version of NeatImage would only work with 8 bit images. I changed the document to 8 bits in AP and tried again, but got the same message. I then loaded a jpg into AP and tried again, but got the same 8 bit message. The only reason I am posting this is that it might work without the 8 bit restriction in the trial. I don't know but, if you are interested, you could download the photoFXlab plugin as a trial, run it from AP, add NeatImage and see if it works. It is a bit of trouble but is free as the Topaz trial should work properly for however long the Topaz trial period is and you could see if NeatImage would run through that plugin.

Just a suggestion.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.