Gunny

Request: Numeric values in Curves adjustment

Unfortunately the Curves dialog still misses any information about the numeric value of the selected point (input value / output value). It's really hard to set the points to their exact positions without seeing the numbers. =(

(I found similar request from 2016 in "Older Feedback" so it seems it's been abandoned.)

affinity-curves.thumb.png.80c87cebaea31f97002d332c698dcb9c.png

A feature i am looking for ,have also requested this and seconded in other threads. For LAB, without this its almost impossible to apply learnings from Dan Margulis who is probably the only person with extensive guide on LAB .

Yes, numbers in the curves dialog would be more than welcome. Anyway, curves could be extended way beyond what Photoshop offers, for example being able to zoom to a specific part of the curve, enter non-integer values, or choose numbers range (sometimes it is better to work with 0-255, or with 0-100, 0-65535, etc.) This is espcially useful whan handling LAB corrections or scientific images.

And ability to select more than one point on  the curve would be great, too! In Photoshop, I can adjust contrast of the specific tonal range using two points, e.g. (50, 25) and (100, 50). Then I can select these two points and move them upwards or downwards, which lightens or darkens that tonal range, but the cotrast is left untouched.

11 hours ago, Petr Lobaz said:

curves could be extended way beyond what Photoshop offers

Definitely, but I am afraid that there are so many bugs and requests waiting to be fixed or implemented that it won't happen anytime soon. :(

I agree that "extenting possibilities beyond Photoshop" has zero priority, generally. But sometimes, the extension is for free. For example, we agree that numbers in curves editor would be great. Allowing them to be non-integer is for free in the programmer's view, as the curve is calculated in floating point anyway. It is just a useless restriction of the input box that does not allow decimal point.

Another example: you can define opacity for a layer, from 0 to 100 %. Then there is a simple formula that calculates final color. But, this formula does not require opacity to be from 0 to 100 -- the formula works for any number, e.g., 200 % or -50 %. There is no reason to restrict the user from inputting such numbers -- the only thing the programmer must do is to handle the opacity slider somehow.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:08 PM, Petr Lobaz said:

But sometimes, the extension is for free.

Sure, I think all this stuff could be added within an hour or two  (two or three new dialog items and a few lines of code handling the conversions) but there are many similar requests around waiting to be implemented. It seems the developers focus mostly on bugs crashing the whole app...