Sorry if this has already been brought up.  When I open a file type eg TGA/TIFF if I then modify that file and hit Ctrl S to save it - affinity tries to save it as an afphoto file, it should surely save it as the original file type over the original file.

Hey tazcebula,

Affinity should be saving back as a TIFF but it may also depend on what modifications you are adding to the TIFF. Can you share a file or tell me exactly what it is you're doing?

If you just put some strokes down with the Paint Brush Tool it doesn't ask—fine.

If you add a pixel layer, it is asking if you want to save it as a TIFF with an Affinity layer (the pixel layer) or just go ahead and turn it into an afphoto file. Once you've saved it as a TIFF with the Affinity layer, it shouldn't ask you again. 

So it's just making you aware that either way, this TIFF is going to either be a TIFF with some Affinity layers or an afphoto file. 

On 9/27/2019 at 4:54 PM, tazcebula said:

open a file

If this was a JPG-file (not a TIFF)

You get this message :

009 2019-09-27, 20_08_13.jpg

Affinity Photo  1.8.0.585   -  Beta 1.8.0.555

Windows 10 Home  1909 (build 18363.657) - 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB
Calibrated Monitor (Datacolor Spyder5 Pro)

If I Open a TIFF file, add a layer, and do Ctrl+S I get:
image.png.014161bd00874b05b46ca35bf8c8f73e.png

"Save with layers" will save over the original TIFF file. Choosing "Save As" will save a .afphoto file.

If you want a TIFF with a different name you need to use Export. (Same applies to Ctrl+S with a JPG file. You can Save over the original, but you cannot Save As with a new name. That requires Export.)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.641 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.641 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.