You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

License Management

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @ggoldammer. :)

The single-user licence covers your use of the software on multiple devices sharing the same platform (Mac, Windows or iPad) as long as no one else is using it for commercial purposes, so there’s no need to deactivate it when switching between different machines. If you decide to give away or sell your computer, you would simply uninstall the software before passing the machine on to its new owner.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 months later...

@Pavel Lelyukh

I shall be cheeky and copy and paste part of @Alfred's reply in an earlier post:

The single-user licence covers your use of the software on multiple devices sharing the same platform (Mac, Windows or iPad) as long as no one else is using it for commercial purposes, so there’s no need to deactivate it when switching between different machines. If you decide to give away or sell your computer, you would simply uninstall the software before passing the machine on to its new owner.

Notice the part I've made bold.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Unfortunately, @emmrecs01, I'm not sure that @Alfred's answer is completely correct if the computer is being given to someone else, at least on Windows and for users who purchased directly from Serif.

I have seen reports here from users who have needed to erase a directory or file somewhere in (I think) the Windows %ProgramData% directory in order to completely deactivate a license. The information is apparently not erased when the program is uninstalled by the standard Windows Uninistall mechanism, and while present the next owner of the computer could simply download the Trial version and it would appear licensed.

(That's probably an issue that Serif should resolve at some point.)

Alfred was correct that if you're using the computer for personal use, and retaining ownership of it, there's no need to deactivate the license as its good for as many computers of that OS-type that you want to use it on. And it may have been correct when disposing of the computer for Mac users and for Windows users who purchased from the Microsoft Store.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell

Point taken!

Though I think if you read @Pavel Lelyukh's other thread here he seems to be basically "rebuilding" his existing Mac, not purchasing a new one, I think?

:)

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Yes, in that case Alfred's answer does apply, @emmrecs01. Thanks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell @emmrecs01 thanks for the info! I had to first remove my pervious laptop from the list of devices on my apple ID account to have the option to download Affinity Designer again. Also I'm gonna try to make a Hackintosh OS on my work station because it is way faster, like 64 GBs of DDR4, 12 threadripper cores and a 2080 Ti  with the capacity to expand to 4 GPUs like shown here.