Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Dear Serif, we have been asking for RTL support for years, but still nothing.

 

Dear Serif, you are losing so many costumers by not implementing RTL support.

Today there are 12 RTL languages, Arabic Alone is used by 1.7 Billion humans.

 

Some people might say "Use 3rd party apps". The problem is these apps don't work with every font.

If you look at the picture below you might notice the two letters I am pointing at don't look alright.

That's because of the font I am using "Dubai Font".

I tried using different apps but I always get the same result inside of AD, so I am pretty sure the problem resides inside of AD

 

Dear Serif, we really need RTL support!

image.png.8e53ae74617068edf3ff4096e8207f3b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ahmed Yasir said:

Today there are 12 RTL languages

Really? All in common use?? I know of Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, Syriac, Urdu, and Yiddish, but what are the other six? :/


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed an interesting article about some never heard languages and/or countries, Thanks!

Possibly of these billions of people a much smaller number will become relevant for the use of RTL in Affinity to make this, indeed necessary feature, move to the top of the Serif to-do-list. The feature was requested in several threads, at least one moderators answer mentioned the complexity to implement it. So, for now they might have crashes and other bugs on their road map first (which might explain why a road map isn't published at the moment).


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ahmed Yasir said:

Dear Serif, you are losing so many costumers by not implementing RTL support.

There are also some LTR languages that Affinity applications cannot process properly, which also leaves those peoples under-served. They too number in the billion plus numbers.

For now, it might be that Viva Designer is the main DTP application that (supposedly) can handle RTL (and complex LTR) that does not require subscription. QXP has recently added support for some complex LTR (mainly Indian) but still lack full support for certain LTR and no RTL without an additional XTension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Indeed an interesting article about some never heard languages and/or countries, Thanks!

Possibly of these billions of people a much smaller number will become relevant for the use of RTL in Affinity to make this, indeed necessary feature, move to the top of the Serif to-do-list. The feature was requested in several threads, at least one moderators answer mentioned the complexity to implement it. So, for now they might have crashes and other bugs on their road map first (which might explain why a road map isn't published at the moment).

I never said they should move it to the top of their road maps I am just saying: We really need this feature, and we have been asking for it for ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ahmed Yasir said:

Dear Serif, we have been asking for RTL support for years, but still nothing.

One of the team member commented on this request in another thread and said that RTL support will take years to implement. So don't expect it soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Seneca said:

One of the team member commented on this request in another thread and said that RTL support will take years to implement. So don't expect it soon.

I know. But, my workflow is a NIGHTMARE right now with the lack of RTL support!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ahmed Yasir said:

I know. But, my workflow is a NIGHTMARE right now with the lack of RTL support!

Then you will have yet more years of nightmares before Serif adds RTL. So why use these applications?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MikeW said:

Then you will have yet more years of nightmares before Serif adds RTL. So why use these applications?

Affinity Designer is the cheapest solution for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ahmed Yasir said:

I am just saying: We really need this feature (...) asking for it for ages.

9 minutes ago, Ahmed Yasir said:

the cheapest solution

Hm. Sounds like a hard request, reads like a hard insist – rather than like "just saying".


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thomaso said:

Hm. Sounds like a hard request, reads like a hard insist – rather than like "just saying".

I meant cheapest in price not quality or whatever you think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ahmed Yasir said:

Affinity Designer is the cheapest solution for me.

Well, InkScape, being free, would be the cheapest solution. Suppose to handle RTL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ahmed Yasir said:

Affinity Designer is the cheapest solution for me.

Time is money if you’re using the app for commercial purposes, so if you need to resort to time-consuming workarounds it may not really be so cheap.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ahmed Yasir said:
7 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Hm. Sounds like a hard request, reads like a hard insist – rather than like "just saying".

I meant cheapest in price not quality or whatever you think 

Yes, cost related. Whereas I mean it can be felt as contradictory to refer to the low price of a product as kind of a reason to demand more features from this specific product.


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Well, InkScape, being free, would be the cheapest solution. Suppose to handle RTL.

Inkscape didn't work for me, and let me rephrase what I said: AD striked the perfect balance between quality and price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Time is money if you’re using the app for commercial purposes, so if you need to resort to time-consuming workarounds it may not really be so cheap.

I don't do Graphic Design so much nowadays, so more expensive options are too expensive for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Yes, cost related. Whereas I mean it can be felt as contradictory to refer to the low price of a product as kind of a reason to demand more features from this specific product.

Where's the problem with wanting my favorite vector app to get better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.