You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Removing arc created for text on a path.

I created a curve on a black background (using the pen tool), on which to write some white text.  But the curve shows up too.  I tried setting the stroke at 0, and also making it black (to match the background), but it still shows.  I can't delete it because the text then collapses (off of the curve).  What am I missing?  See attached image.  The undesired white line shows up under "my" and "California".

I Love Hiking CA Mtns Affinity final .png

TdB,

I suspect that you need to activate the text frame menu which may be off by default -- otherwise the stroke and color options reference the text not the curve. Go to the top menu [View] >> [Studio] >> [Text Frame]. In the example attached I've made the curve dashed yellow but it can now be made invisible by either zero width or color black to match the background as you have tried.

Regards,

CPC

text f s.jpg

@TdB: It would also help if you tell us which Affinity application you're using. Both Publisher and Designer have Path Text, but the capabilities are somewhat different as Designer does not provide the Text Frame studio panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, TdB said:

I tried setting the stroke at 0, and also making it black (to match the background), but it still shows. 

Possibly you altered the stroke of the text, not of its base line.
To set the line width and color you can use the Text Frame panel, cause the line became the text frame for the text on its path:

455985223_pathtext-framestroke.jpg.ce0d4948537b25dbc6282d71c55a04fb.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Sorry I forgot to say that I'm using Affinity Publisher.  I'm putting the text on top of an image I downloaded from another site and the black banner on which I am putting "California" is not equal in width from one end to the other.  So I'm centering the text on the banner (vertically); in other words, the arc for the text is not symmetrical.   That's why I used a path instead of a text frame.  Is it possible to make a nonsymmetrical arc using the text frame?

4 hours ago, TdB said:

I used a path instead of a text frame.  Is it possible to make a nonsymmetrical arc using the text frame?

If you started with your path (arc), and used Layer > Convert to Text Frame (or clicked on it with the Frame Text Tool) then you have Path Text using a Text Frame. Just use the Text Frame panel to adjust it, as @thomaso suggested.

If, on the other hand, you're using Artistic Text the answer might be different.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, TdB said:

Sorry I forgot to say that I'm using Affinity Publisher. (...)  That's why I used a path instead of a text frame.  Is it possible to make a nonsymmetrical arc using the text frame?

My sample is from AfPublisher, too. Also I just have drawn a line with the Pen Tool, then switched to Artistic Text Tool, hovered over the curve, got an according cursor change and started typing. THAT action made the curve become the text frame for the artistic text. Now, when you select the text with the Move Tool, you can set its properties in the text frame panel. In that case the curve becomes the stroke of such a frame. The shape, form or symmetry of the curve is irrelevant.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I too am having this problem and cannot make it work. I draw a circle and then I select text tool and type the words on the line as shown in the attached screenshot. I can now not have any effect on the properties of the circle. I understand that it may have turned into a text frame but I cannot bring up a text frame palette since it is not an option under VIEW> studio. Can anyone help?

ScreenHunter 67.jpg

ScreenHunter 68.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)