You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Finding assets like picture frames or cliparts in Publisher

Presently I use Serif PagePlus X9 to create my booklets and I am very happy with that. Now I'm trying to convert my work to Affinity publisher and I am an absolute beginner to Publisher. So please forgive possibly dumb questions.

In PagePlus I find under "Assets" many assets like frames, cliparts, backgrounds, graphics. These cliparts are located in Windows in the path

c:\Program Files\Serif\PagePlus\X9\Asset Packs\Bildrahmen\Natural.ppack  (example)

I can import assets from this Windows location into PagePlus and then use them.

• How can I find these or similar assets in Affinity publisher?
  • If they are not (yet?) available, when will they be added to Affinity publisher?
  • Is it possible, to import assets from PagePlus into Affinity publisher?
  • If yes, how excactly is the procedure to achive that?

In the Publisher Help it says "Importieren von Assets: 1.Klicken Sie auf das Symbol 'Panel-Einstellungen' und dann auf den Eintrag Assets importieren."  (klick at the symbol "Panel settings"...) but I can't find this symbol anywhere.

I would be grrateful for any hints, thank you for your help, Regards,

Worker

• Staff

To use the Natural.ppack in PagePlus you will need to enable the Asset Tab from the View > Tabs menu and then from this tab you can use Open to load the pack file.

Publisher does not have any installed assets but you are able to make your own and you are not able to directly import the packs from PagePlus as Publisher does not support this file format. To import the contents of the Pack into Publisher you will need to open the file in PagePlus and drag the contents onto a blank document then export this as a PDF file then in Publisher open this PDF and in the Asset tab make a new category by clicking the menu icon Panel Preferences 

Select the objects in the document and click on the Panel Preferences in the new category  and click the option Add from Selection to import the selected objects 

Hello DWright,

thank you very much for your quick reply. Yes, I know how to find and use those assets in PagePlus und I use them frequently. But now I'm trying to convert my work from PagePlus to Affiity Publisher and continue to work with the new product.

Thank you for your hints as to how to transfer a graphic from PagePlus to Publisher. This might be a way for single items, but it would mean that both products have to stay installed on the system in parallel and a frequent switching between them. For me, it does not seem a practical way to use these assets.

I understand that Serif said that in the first versions of Publisher there will not be all features implemented that are present in PagePlus but eventually they would be added.

In PagePlus I find a wealth of graphic symbols, frames, backgrounds which I like to use. I am symply not able to create these by myself. My artistic abilitys are not good enough to construct these fine graphics, nor picture frames nor backgrounds. Therefore I would be very disappointed if I never could use these graphics again after I have completely changed to Publisher. Often, for example, in a new document, a suitable background is essential for the impression of the complete product.

I still very much hope that Serif will find a way to make these assets available to users of Afinity Publisher, be it by integrate it like it is in PagePlus or possibly as a seperately sould optional package. Certainly, there must be a way to convert the existing file format in a way than can be handled by Publisher.

Do you think there is some hope for that?

Thanks again for your help, Regards,
Worker

22 minutes ago, Worker said:

Certainly, there must be a way to convert the existing file format in a way than can be handled by Publisher.

I think that's how to do it, and you should do more than one at once:

On 8/22/2019 at 12:59 PM, DWright said:

To import the contents of the Pack into Publisher you will need to open the file in PagePlus and drag the contents onto a blank document then export this as a PDF file then in Publisher open this PDF and in the Asset tab make a new category by clicking the menu icon Panel Preferences 

47 minutes ago, Worker said:

I understand that Serif said that in the first versions of Publisher there will not be all features implemented that are present in PagePlus but eventually they would be added.

I have never seen a statement from Serif that all the PagePlus features would be added.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

54 minutes ago, Worker said:

Thank you for your hints as to how to transfer a graphic from PagePlus to Publisher. This might be a way for single items, but it would mean that both products have to stay installed on the system in parallel and a frequent switching between them. For me, it does not seem a practical way to use these assets.

28 minutes ago, Wosven said:

you should do more than one at once

This ^^

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)