You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Substitutes "f" for "ff" when viewing pdf online

This month was the first time I used Affinity Publisher for the monthly newsletter I produce. 

It can be found here

https://bmwnorcal.wildapricot.org/resources/Documents/August 2019 newsletter for web.pdf

Although the PDF looks fine when viewing with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, when viewed with a web browser every time "ff" appears in the original document it is replaced by a single "f". It is a motorcycle club so on page 2 for example there are many references to "off road" which is replaced by "of road". On page 3 "Affinity" is replaced by "Af inity" and "stuff" by "stuf"

One of my readers has complained that In a full version of Acrobat Professional X, the double f is rendered as two blank spaces

This is extremely embarrassing and there is nothing I can do right now

A second point which has been raised many times before is the inability to attach a URL to an object such as a picture. You will note that the newsletter is filled with adverts. In PagePlus with a web PDF, clicking an advert provided the reader a pass through to the advertisers web site.  This newsletter relies on advertiser revenue to pay for the printed version. This click through is deemed important by the advertisers. I am assuming this will be fixed soon.

22 minutes ago, johnge said:

Although the PDF looks fine when viewing with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, when viewed with a web browser every time "ff" appears in the original document it is replaced by a single "f".

When viewing the PDF in Safari on my iPad I see this:

In all seriousness, to address having co  ee before/during a ride; the diuretic e  ect of ca  eine was thought to contribute to de-hydration but this is not actually the case.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Ligatures and viewing via web browsers can be troublesome :-

1) You could select the 'convert to curve's option in the PDF export More options. (an option in Embed fonts)

2) Turn off ligatures in Publisher by editing the text styles used or by selecting all the text and turning them off in the paragraph panel.

3) If you are using the subset fonts option sometimes using the embedding all fonts is more compatible

Yesterday I went back and played around with the PDF options until found something worked. Unfortunately the file was 30M.  The original file is no longer available but probably not an issue since there are plenty of other complaints about web pdf not working

I don't understand the various PDF formats and quite frankly I am not interested in spending the time to figure it out. I never heard of "ligatures" until yesterday when a club member (ex-university prof) who had seen the newsletter suggested this maybe the problem.

I spent a lot of time and effort over the last two months to understand how to use the new software and also re-create the Pageplus newsletter format. I have tried to use affinity  photo effects (light/shadow and haze) but they didn't seem to work either (they do something but don't produce anything I can use)

Next month I will use Page Plus and Photoshop. I am not a professional. I just need something that works. Maybe I will try it again in 12 months time.

I have also changed to using AP from PagePlus for a 88 page A5 booklet village magazine which is professionally printed and also placed on our website.

The web output using Export “PDF (for web)“ produced a PDF which is not rendered correctly in some browsers. Chrome, Firefox & Microsoft Edge all show the text with missing characters, predominately the letter ”i” after an “f”.

Internet Explorer and Acrobat Reader DC both show the file correctly.

I have tested the larger file sent to the printer and that displays correctly in all the above browsers, so the problem is only with the lower resolution (for web) output

As a workaround I have resorted to using the third party PDF-XChange as a printer driver to produce a web output suitable to use.

I have other issues with a partially missing paragraph where text flowed to another frame and phone numbers pasted into a table where the last digit was reduced by one. Trying to replicate these at the moment to understand what went wrong!

This is a disappointing start to using this software and now don’t trust it and will have to spend extra time checking everything as I now have a published magazine with errors. The website version I can replace with the one created using PDF-XChange but the printed magazine cannot be changed.

You may have seen my postings on the exact same problem, so it will be good for the people who say they don't get the problem to see it is a system rather than a user problem. Like you I am seriously thinking about PagePlus for a while until some of the bugs are ironed out. My photo needs are basic and the built in tools in PagePlus meet my needs

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.