You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shortcut to “Home” (aka select tool)

When using the node tool or the text/gradient/transparency tool (usually by double-clicking from the select tool), I’d like to switch back to the selection tool without any key or modifier – just by clicking somewhere where there isn’t any element. Just like the image placing tool already does.

If it is just me and a few others expecting this behavior “clicking back to selection tool” could be one more preference option.

Also, there should be a modifier key (I suggest the alt key) that temporarily toggles to the selection keys from any other active tool. I need the plain ol’ selection tool all the time, even right in the middle of pushing some nodes or writing some words.

Ok, I see now why my first request of a shortcut to the move tool (accidentally called it selection tool) wouldn’t work: It’s because when I’m using the node tool and click outside of a selection it will be interpreted as the start of dragging a marquee to select nodes.

So returning “automatically” to the move tool could be done with a double-click on an empty area – just as a double-click switches to the two text tools or to the node tool when using the move tool. Seems logical to me.

The second request however, a modifier key (alt/option) to temporarily toggle to the move tool, should work without interfering with anything else.

Yes, Rui, a temporary switch to the move tool would be great (think FreeHand …)

Now, I would even go so far as to propose that the first proposed behavior – switching to the move tool when double-clicking in an empty (or locked) area – could be valid not only for the node tool and the text tools but for the gradient tool, the transparency tool and the shape and drawing tools as well.

I’d argue that we often use any tool to accomplish one singular task at a time. Like writing some words. Like drawing a rectangle. Like applying transparency to one element. So when I use e. g. the transparency tool on one element there is some probability that the next task might be something else – quite often it will invoke the move tool to select elements or move things around.

Of course I can stay with my selected tool e. g. to apply transparency to the next element. But a double-click in an empty area as a common shortcut to the move tool would be a great time saver as I don’t have to put my fingers off the mouse/trackpad/pen.

The other way around it is already in place for the node tool and the text tools, why not vice versa? Makes sense?

Although I'm getting used to use the V and A keys to switch to Move and Node tools, I ever had tried to press V twice. Nice. It is almost like the Space key in Cinema 4D that switches back and forth between the selection tool and the last tool used. I can live with this :-)

Hi Andy,

the V-key is known, the toggling behavior too.

I just think it is way more convenient – for some of us – to not have to fiddle with the keyboard while mousing around. And since there are no obstacles like competing modifiers (to my knowledge) or anything else that would happen otherwise by double-clicking in an empty area, what should stop us from implementing a not keyboard dependent speedway to Move Tool bliss?

• Staff

I think the Node tool is more important than the move tool - so should the double click not go to the context-sensitive node tool?

But for some people double click should go to the move tool.. and for some, the pan tool, and for others, some other tool..

There is nothing special about the move tool.

It's impossible to use the app efficiently without having one hand on the keyboard anyway - these are all reasons why we implemented the toggling tool key behaviour, as opposed to a number of inconsistent special mouse actions which would only please 25% of users.

AndyS

I agree with the affirmation "It's impossible to use the app efficiently without having one hand on the keyboard anyway".

And this is not a critique. Most professional apps require that. And most professionals should work with one hand always on the keyboard. Keyboard shortcuts/switches/modifiers FTW!!! ;-)

Ok Andy,

before I give up on this here comes one last attempt.

1) I think the move tool is probably the most used tool. Shure, nothing special about is as it does just move and select. But still, very often it has the role of a middle man between two other tools that actually “do” something.

2) Is going from the move tool to, say, the node tool via double-click an “inconsistent special mouse action”? I don’t think so. It’s already implemented and feels totally natural. Then why do you regard the way back as inconsistent and special? I’d say it is obvious and logical.

3) I understand and appreciate that you keep an eye on function overload. But even 25% of users are quite something and most of the other 75 % wouldn’t even notice the switching function and there is no onscreen element involved. It’s just a way to switch back to what I would call the default tool.

Andy, I hope you know that I am really happy already so my insisting is not criticism. It’s just that this is a historical opportunity …

Anyway, it is your decision and whatever you choose to do is alright with me and surely backed with reasonable arguments.

Matthias

As an aside... Andy what would be especially useful for me is when I have one hand on the Windows keyboard and the other on the Mac mouse that somehow you can pop up a flashing BERK ALERT. That costs me more time than learning new stuff.

Thanks.  :lol:

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

• 5 months later...

Bump.

After months of playing with AD I still don’t get used to having to type a V to get back to what is not coincidentally first on the tool bar: the selection tool.

I still double click in an empty area – and nothing happens, just as if I’d clicked only once. I think this is clumsy and confusing since the double click does work the other way: double clicking on a path switches to the node tool, double clicking on a text switches to the text tool. The one exception is the pen tool where a double click creates an end point.

As the double click is still free in all other cases (node, fill, transparency, brush, text tools) I don’t get it why you refuse to grant us this shortcut. This is not feature overload. It is the other side of the tool-toggle-on-double-click medal which you did implement.

Anyone else here with me?

YEAH! You did it!

That is what I love about you guys: You actually do listen – and act (remember selecting objects by intersecting with selection marquee? Node shapes?)

So let’s check the tools:

Node Tool: check!

Pen Tool: different function: end node

Pencil Tool: check!

Vector Brush Tool: check!

Corner Tool: nope (would work, though)

Gradient Tool: nope (would work, though)

Transparency Tool: nope (would work, though)

Rectangle/Circle/Shape Tool: nope (would work, though)

Text Tools: nope (would work, though)

I see the rationale there – only drawing tools need this – but I still think the double-click in an empty area to toggle to the move tool wouldn’t hurt with any tool. With the “nope-tools” there is no difference between a click and a double-click in an empty area. However, there could be a difference and I think there should be.

Anyway, great to see already good things improve!

Greetz

Matthias

• 11 months later...

I mistakenly created two identical threads, Matthias, and you posted the following in the thread now not used, thus I'm continuing by responding in your thread. You might want to look at the answers in my original thread (

Your post: ”My take on this would be a double click outside of the textbox to switch back to the selection/move tool. Check this out. After all this time I still think it’s obvious: a click for a new textbox, a double click for back to move tool."

You are correct, Matthias, that with many tools (but not all) one can return to the "Move" tool by double clicking outside a selection. I now use my old Illustrator keyboard shortcuts now in AD, i.e., an "s" for the Move tool (my old Illustrator Select tool) and a "d" for the Node tool (my old Illustrator Direct Select tool). I use a "c" for the Pen tool. I find that this works well with everything except when I am editing text. That is where my problem is since touching any key when editing a text will enter that key stroke in the text. Very frustrating but I understand why this must be the case. 

Illustrator has a very useful toggle = when one has the CMD key down, the Illustrator Select tool replaces the Text tool. Holding down CMD and double clicking makes the Select tool permanent. This toggle, however, does not  exists in AD, at least I have not found it. 

Lastly, when editing a text in AD and then double clicking outside the text a new artistic text is created with an “a.” Continuing to click gives various accents for the letter "a." At least this is what I have found. Thus your solution of double clicking works for everything except when I am editing a text.

I hope this makes sense, and also that developers of AD will soon solve this problem. Going back to the toolbox to choose the Move tool slows up things and makes more mouse moving rather than simply having a toggle with the CMD key (as explained above).  BTW, I loved Freehand, too, in the old days, but those days are gone. 

Greetz, Jim

Lastly, when editing a text in AD and then double clicking outside the text a new artistic text is created with an “a.” Continuing to click gives various accents for the letter "a." At least this is what I have found. Thus your solution of double clicking works for everything except when I am editing a text.

Hi Jim,

I suppose the “A” you get (by clicking or double clicking outside the textbox) is not an actual letter, just the tool icon. At least I don’t get a written letter by double clicking.

Concerning the different ways of switching to the move tool: I think it makes sense to carry a convention through when it is already here. Thank god the convention of double clicking in an empty area to switch back to the move tool is already here – with the node tool, the pencil tool and the vector brush tool. I can see no reason why it would not work with all the other tools just as well (the pen tool being an exception).

BTW, I loved Freehand, too, in the old days, but those days are gone. 

I guess you want to express that I should learn to adapt. I do.

I just raise my finger when good GUI-ideas are thrown overboard just because they were invented somewhere else or no one even thought about them, maybe because they are already forgotten. I want Affinity Designer to be not the same but just as cleverly executed as FreeHand was. FreeHand was the bezier app for the mindset of creative people whereas Illustrator was and is still an app with a technical angle. Everything needs twice the effort. Frankly, I hate it because I feel it mostly stands in the way of what I want to do instead of supporting me. Which FreeHand did and AD does too.

Yes, those FreeHand days are gone. But still I want an app that does things from a creative angle. Thus my attempts here in this forum.

Yes, those FreeHand days are gone. But still I want an app that does things from a creative angle. Thus my attempts here in this forum.

I was agreeing with you, Matthias. FH was fantastic, although it, too, had its problems. What I liked about it was the natural ease with which everything happened. Yes, AD, is much like FH, but its developers have to solve the problem you have described. They should use a modifier key (I vote for CMD) to temporarily get to the Move tool. While CMD is held down, a double click would make the Move tool permanent. Then a simple key stroke would take the user anywhere.

BTW, I have my own keyboard shortcuts in AD (same key stroke shortcuts I use in Illustrator). Thus going back and forth between programs (until I get everything over to AD) is quite easy. My only problem is that using a key stroke when editing inside a text simply enters that key stroke into my text. This should be fixed soon if the AD developers are listening to us.