You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text autoflow glitch

To autoflow text into multiple new text frames:
  • Click the Flow button at the bottom-right edge of the overflowing text frame with the shift key pressed.

Text frames, of same dimensions and properties, are created on multiple new pages until text overflow no longer occurs.

My problem is the text is only populated in the left (verso) pages.

Have I missed something in my settings?

Version 1.7.1.404 Win 8

Getting the autoflow to work correctly when populating documents with facing pages is a bit tricky, especially if you have used Master Pages with Text Frames on them.

I got it to work properly with a bit of experimentation, but I don't remember exactly what I did, and while traveling I probably won't have time to recreate it. Sorry. I should have kept better notes.

Maybe someone else will know, but for now a simple workaround may be to set the document so it does not use facing pages, populate them, then reset the document to use facing pages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I can replicate this:

(1) New document. On Master A double spread add a text box to left and a text box to right

2) on Pages panel, add say two or more double spreads. The text frames carry over from the master page.

(3) Insert text on the first single (right-hand) page. Shift-click triangle to autoflow. The text only flows into right hand pages.

(4) If undo so have blank pages again, and then double-click on the first double spread to make it active.

(5) Insert text on the left side of the this double spread and then shift-click to autoflow - it only flows text on the left pages.

This seems to be a problem when inserting text frames on the Master page. If you don't do this and only start by putting a text frame on a normal page, autoflow goes both left and right on double spreads.

Hope this helps.

Windows 10.

I believe (based on my experiements, and assuming I've remembered correctly) that if you put the Text Frames on facing Master Pages, you need to manually link them on the Master Pages before the reflowing will work as we expect on the related document pages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ah, yes, linking text frames on Master page seems to do the trick - perhaps.

Then,

Insert text (drag and drop) on first (right hand) page and autoflow works.

Add double page spread. Insert text on left page - fills both left and right pages (because their linked?)

Insert text on right page of double spread - instant crash - no warning but a bug report is made.