You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Symbols Broken Update Behavior

I have a problem where creating and updating symbols is broken in one part of my file but not other parts. I think there is some sort of corruption or incorrect hidden setting inside the hierarchy, so that creating and updating symbols works in one part of the hierarchy, and doesn't work in another.  When it doesn't work it looks like it creates a symbol but the symbols aren't acting as if they are connected. For more context, the part of the hierarchy where the problem is occurring used to be underneath a symbol

2051367644_BrokenSymbols.gif.c2d3e2e8d7a0bc5575da444fa50f54e8.gif

I've included the problem bits of my file here, BrokenSymbols_Start.afdesign is before they become symbols and BrokenSymbols_Finish.afdesign is after they are symbols and duplicated

BrokenSymbols_Start.afdesign

BrokenSymbols_Finish.afdesign

I am using Designer 1.7.1.404

I also have a separate question, when you have a symbol underneath a symbol, what is the expected behavior when you update an instance of the nested symbol?  Is the nested symbol supposed to update when an instance of it elsewhere is changed?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Remi McGill Audiokinetic,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

I've deleted all the symbols and "Property/Component Inspector" is still linked somehow. I can't really tell how it become linked - perhaps it was part of a symbol at some point? Also, your symbol panel has multiple instances of the same symbol so it's impossible to tell what (and when) it went wrong. If you manage to replicate it in some clear steps, we can look into it. For future reference, it's not a good practice to have symbols within symbols. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/15/2019 at 6:36 AM, Gabe said:

Hi @Remi McGill Audiokinetic,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

I've deleted all the symbols and "Property/Component Inspector" is still linked somehow. I can't really tell how it become linked - perhaps it was part of a symbol at some point? Also, your symbol panel has multiple instances of the same symbol so it's impossible to tell what (and when) it went wrong. If you manage to replicate it in some clear steps, we can look into it. For future reference, it's not a good practice to have symbols within symbols. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

@Gabe Why is it, "not a good practice to have symbols within symbols?" Is nesting symbols possible with Affinity Designer on Windows desktop?

I'm confused because some users claim that nesting symbols is possible with Affinity Designer while others claim that there are many bugs associated with nesting symbols. I also have had many problems with nesting symbols not syncing with each other because the syncing breaks for some reason. Sometimes, some of the symbols disappear within the nested symbol. 

• Staff
6 hours ago, Fun Art Sam said:

Why is it, "not a good practice to have symbols within symbols?" Is nesting symbols possible with Affinity Designer on Windows desktop?

You kind of explained it below that :)

6 hours ago, Fun Art Sam said:

some users claim that nesting symbols is possible with Affinity Designer while others claim that there are many bugs associated with nesting symbols. I also have had many problems with nesting symbols not syncing with each other because the syncing breaks for some reason. Sometimes, some of the symbols disappear within the nested symbol. 

While it is possible to nest symbol within symbols, if things get unsynced, it can produce unexpected results, as you've already discovered. 

Because this remindes me of issues I had (have) with symbols:

I personally do avoid using symbols at all as at some point they are not synchcronized anymore. The problem is that I haven't been able to find out when or more importantly why it happens. In fact, I would need them, but I don't get their inner logic. I am only speaking about normal symbols not nested ones. Maybe I am just too dumb but not using symbols saves me time and nervs...

My suggestion would be a "reset" or "resynchronize all" function.

All the best,
Chris

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

• 4 months later...
On 11/20/2019 at 4:04 AM, Gabe said:

You kind of explained it below that :)

While it is possible to nest symbol within symbols, if things get unsynced, it can produce unexpected results, as you've already discovered. 

@Gabe Hi Gabe,

Thanks for your help. I'm still confused about nesting symbols. Are there a lot of bugs in Affinity Designer that prevent someone from using nested symbols? I need to know this in order to avoid using nested symbols in future projects. I just thought that I may be doing something wrong when I'm editing the symbols to cause them to become unsynced. 

Take care and have a good day,

Sam

On 11/20/2019 at 4:54 AM, ChrisSmere said:

Because this remindes me of issues I had (have) with symbols:

I personally do avoid using symbols at all as at some point they are not synchcronized anymore. The problem is that I haven't been able to find out when or more importantly why it happens. In fact, I would need them, but I don't get their inner logic. I am only speaking about normal symbols not nested ones. Maybe I am just too dumb but not using symbols saves me time and nervs...

My suggestion would be a "reset" or "resynchronize all" function.

All the best,
Chris

@ChrisSmereHi Chris,

I like the idea of having a reset or resynchronize function for nested symbols! It would save a lot of time and energy creating illustrations and other vector designs. 

Sam

@Remi McGill Audiokinetic Hi Remi,

I just tried to replicate what you were doing in your video. It looks like the bug is now gone from Affinity Designer and it works! I was informed by a staff member that the developers have been working to improve symbols for us. There was a recent, new release of Affinity Designer that may have these improvements implemented now. 

Sam