You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Basic Long Shadow Effect using Affinity Photo

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

¡very clever!!!!! Could you merge the "shadowshapes" and apply a gradient that would make the shadow more subtle at the end of it?

That would be really elegant.

Rosa

Sure! Anything is possible in Affinity Designer :) 

• 2 years later...
On 5/19/2015 at 11:41 AM, MEB said:

Smart way to get the shadow done :)

This may also be used to speed up the creation of the shadow with vector objects, using the node tool and picking the right nodes. Thanks Leigh.

Is there any way to create realistic human shadows that are not just straight/angled? I used "Outer Shadow" but there is no way to stretch/distort the shadow. I tried using the "Perspective Tool" and applied gradients, etc. but still not what I need. I have a human subject with a floor and wall. I need a way to make the human shadow contour or bend from the floor, where the floor meets the wall, and have shadow continue on the wall, or whatever object I want the shadow cast onto. Usually, the shadow of the person's legs will seem longer (stretched), then almost a 90° angle where the floor and wall meet, and continue from there. is this possible in Affinity Photo? I wish there was a way the Outer Shadow fx could be its' own layer, and only the shadow (not the original subject) and be able to warp, stretch, contour onto surfaces.

In God's Harmony

@roddy

Create the Outer Shadow FX for the human subject  (e.g. a man)

(Keep the FX opacity at 100% for now)

Copy the Man Layer, then...

Edit > Paste Special > Portable Document Format

Two new layers will be created, one is the Man, one is his shadow

You can delete the new Man Layer and Stretch / Distort just his shadow Layer to do what you want.

(If that is not clear, I will add some pictures)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

carl123,

Thanks for replying. I don't have a "Paste Special" option under Edit.

I attached what my Edit menu looks like. I tried all 5 paste options, and none results in what you explained.

I'm running Affinity Photo 1.5.2 [Mac version]

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 9.52.12 PM.png

In God's Harmony

I'm on Windows AP, so not sure why you do not have that option.  One of the moderators may have an answer for you.

See my screenshot below

Another option for you may be to create a silhouette of the man on a new layer then manipulate that for your shadow effectshadow.thumb.jpg.797eb49883f88b813d3c1f3192a89ec9.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I don't understand why I can't get that menu option of Paste Special.

This is what I did. Select layer of the subject (it does have a mask and HSL adjustment) > Click "fx"on bottom of layers > Select "Outer Shadow" and adjusted to liking > Clicked "Close" > With Layer still selected, I went to Edit > Copy, then went to Edit again, and Paste Special is not a choice. I also tried adding a new pixel layer, placed it on top > Edit > and option is still is not there.

If you did different steps, please let me know. Maybe your subject layer is different somehow. If I could manage what you did, it would sure help so much.

In God's Harmony

Hi Roddy

I do not have a Mac so I cant tell if you should have the Paste Special option or not.

Someone else may be able to confirm it for you, one way or the other.

• Staff

AFAIK, Paste Special is not available on MacOS. You can just use Paste and if you want to rasterise the layer, just right click the layer in the layer's panel and click Rasterise....

• Staff

Ignore what I said. You're correct, it doesn't seem possible to paste a copy of the Image Layer and the FX layer as separate layers in the Mac version. A workaround would be to export the image of the man with the FX applied to PDF. Exporting to PDF should create two layers, one for the Man and one for the FX layer.

Leigh,

Thanks for the advice on exporting as a PDF! When I opened the PDF in Affinity Photo, it imported as 2 separate layers and I was able to copy and paste the shadow into my original project.

I wonder why the process is available for the Windows version and not for the Mac. Especially since Affinity Photo was released for the Mac, first. I hope someone at Serif will read this and fix this issue.

Thanks for this workaround!

In God's Harmony