ericGa

Space after set to 12 pt by default?

On a new document, I have the space after in paragraph window set to 12 pt. Shouldn't it be 0 pt by default?

562223436_Capturedcran2019-06-0818_48_05.png.1331462598eecd602dae9969e029024f.png

Of cause it can. Just do it. and save it in a paragraph style and/or as Default.

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

The default gives you a blank line between paragraphs.

As thomaso said, you can change it if you don't like it.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

In Indesign, you can edit the settings with no open document. Those settings become the default settings. In Publisher I can't edit Space after with no document open.

I want the default to be 0 pt for Space after for every document without changing the setting for each new document. How do I do that?

1 hour ago, ericGa said:

In Indesign, you can edit the settings with no open document. Those settings become the default settings. In Publisher I can't edit Space after with no document open.

I want the default to be 0 pt for Space after for every document without changing the setting for each new document. How do I do that?

You would edit the Paragraph Style that you want to use, and save it. Or, possibly, you should edit Base, from which the various other pre-defined Paragraph styles inherit their settings. Then click the hamburger menu for the Text Styles panel, and use Save Styles as Default:

save-default-styles.png.33c97e03a9cd6a56b43533f03f4c20d5.png

After that your changes should apply to new documents that you create.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

23 hours ago, ericGa said:

You can make the current format settings the default for new documents by using Edit > Defaults > Save. This will affect fill and stroke for shapes and lines, as well as text attributes. Or you can change the default text style definition as Walt suggests.

1 hour ago, Dave Harris said:

Edit > Defaults > Save. This will affect fill and stroke for shapes and lines, as well as text attributes.

It appears to me we need to "Synchronize..." first to make "Save" working. Either via menu tool bar icon, or via Edit menu.

By the way: Besides text attributes (which you can save in paragraph or character style) the Defaults also save frame properties, for instance frame stroke or fill, vertical alignment, insets, columns etc.

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"