You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Align, Flip, Rotate - greyed out

Hey there,

wondering if the Workflow changed between the 1.6 and the 1.7. Range? 

Can't manage to Align, Flip or Rotate a picture(.CR2) in 1.7.0.130 via the Arrange menu. Tried the same steps for both versions: Load the raw file to AP > hit develop without any further Adjustments > open the Arrange menu. As the Screenshots show, Align, Flip and Rotate are all greyed out in 1.7 whereas all are working fine in the latest 1.6.7version.

Any mistake on my side? Same happens for .jpg files too, btw.

Thanks in Advance.

Scapa

2021469679_Bildschirmfoto2019-05-27um11_14_00.thumb.jpg.447dc95120969ed5ef0b97bc231243ca.jpg732997079_Bildschirmfoto2019-05-27um11_13_31.thumb.jpg.ff6ca40ed9593c1cf660c3c95bb5eaed.jpg

On Windows we still have Arrange Left/Center/Right and Top/Middle/Bottom available (which to me are not relevant when there is ony a single pixel layer available). Like Mac, we also do not have Flip Horizontal/Vertical or Rotate 90 Clockwise/Counterclockwise (which are relevant for a single layer).

The Flip and Rotate are also available on the Document menu, and should serve the same purpose when only a single layer is available.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, Walt.

Didn't know some of those were also available via the Document menu. Stumbled over the Issue as i tried to quickly mirror a single picture in the beta version and found myself confused, as the Arrange menu items were working in the release version.

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

On Windows we still have Arrange Left/Center/Right and Top/Middle/Bottom available (which to me are not relevant when there is ony a single pixel layer available).

Extend the canvas then those options become relevant

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

we also do not have Flip Horizontal/Vertical or Rotate 90 Clockwise/Counterclockwise (which are relevant for a single layer).

The Flip and Rotate are also available on the Document menu, and should serve the same purpose when only a single layer is available.

If you select the Move tool, those options are available and work differently from the Flip and Rotate available on the Document menu

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Adding slightly to what @carl123 said, it can be a little confusing because these items appear as options in several different menus, but that is the key to understanding what they do & when they are available:

• The rotate options on the View menu only affect the view of the document, not the document itself. IOW, there is no change to any document property. This is why there is no rotate step added to the History panel & why if you only apply either option to an already saved file & close it, there is no warning about unsaved changes. To switch back to the unrotated view while the document is open, use the Reset Rotation option on the View menu.
  • The rotate & flip options in the Document menu affect the entire document. This is why they are always available, even when no layer is selected (& even when there is as yet no layer in a newly created document).
  • The various align, flip, & rotate options on the Arrange menu affect document layers, which is why they are greyed out when no layer is selected with the Move Tool.

In this respect, there is no difference between the 1.6 & 1.7 versions of th app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.