You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to resize canvas without cropping image

I haven't used photoshop in a decade but I distinctly remember being able to change the canvas size to a proportion I need and then paste an image into the canvas and move it around until the content was where I wanted it to be. In Affinty I can't reproduce this function. When I paste an image it's immediately cropped to the canvas size. I've looked around but don't see information on how to perform this basic function.

You can change the canvas size from Document>Resize Canvas. Or you can use crop tool to drag canvas bigger. Or you can copy the image and select File>New From Clipboard and have canvas fitted to image straight away. Or you can zoom out and scale the image to fit canvas. 

Basic functions as you said.

Ok.  What I have is an image that someone  has given me. It has to be cropped into a 5:2 ratio with the longest dimension being 1200 pixels. This image is larger than 1200 pixels wide.

What I want to do is open the image in Affinity. Then change the canvas size without cropping the image so I can drag the image around to compose. Can this be done?

Create a new image at the desired final size. Using the Place command, add the image that you want to work with, and then transform (i.e. move and resize) the placed image so that the desired portion appears on the canvas. The canvas will act as a window onto the placed image so that anything beyond the bounds of the canvas will be discarded on export.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

49 minutes ago, HonestJohn said:

Ok.  What I have is an image that someone  has given me. It has to be cropped into a 5:2 ratio with the longest dimension being 1200 pixels. This image is larger than 1200 pixels wide.

What I want to do is open the image in Affinity. Then change the canvas size without cropping the image so I can drag the image around to compose. Can this be done?

??? Do you want to crop the image or not? Is the aspect ratio of the image 5:2 or something else? If something else, is it acceptable to stretch or shrink one of its dimensions to that aspect ratio (distorting it) or not? Do you want the canvas to be 1200 x 480 px or the image in a larger canvas to have those dimensions?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

33 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Essentially OP wants to resize image to fit comfortably 1200 x 480 px canvas. Simple thing to do.

That depends on if the image has the same aspect ratio as the canvas or it has to be cropped or stretched or shrunk to fit into it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 hours ago, HonestJohn said:

so I can drag the image around to compose

@R C-R I think the quote above pretty much answers your question.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Cropping the image to 5:2 or 1200x480 is fine, the cropping is non-destructive until the image is rasterised, so the image can be dragged around the new dimension until a satisfactory composition is found, the image can also be scaled as part of the compositional process. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

@R C-R I think the quote above pretty much answers your question.

It would, except that the OP said both "It has to be cropped" & "without cropping the image."

Affinity Photo 

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It would, except that the OP said both "It has to be cropped" & "without cropping the image."

I think the OP slightly misspoke when he said “It has to be cropped into a 5:2 ratio”. It’s pretty obvious from his next post that he wants to constrain the image to that ratio without explicitly using the Crop Tool or the masking feature:

On 5/3/2019 at 9:48 PM, HonestJohn said:

I haven't used photoshop in a decade but I distinctly remember being able to change the canvas size to a proportion I need and then paste an image into the canvas and move it around until the content was where I wanted it to be. In Affinty I can't reproduce this function. When I paste an image it's immediately cropped to the canvas size. I've looked around but don't see information on how to perform this basic function.

My previous post describes a simple way to achieve this:

22 hours ago, Alfred said:

Create a new image at the desired final size. Using the Place command, add the image that you want to work with, and then transform (i.e. move and resize) the placed image so that the desired portion appears on the canvas. The canvas will act as a window onto the placed image so that anything beyond the bounds of the canvas will be discarded on export.

Alfred spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I think the OP slightly misspoke when he said “It has to be cropped into a 5:2 ratio”. It’s pretty obvious from his next post that he wants to constrain the image to that ratio without explicitly using the Crop Tool or the masking feature:

Probably, but if the aspect ratio of the image is not 5:2 to begin with, what then? It either has to be cropped (or masked), or distorted by stretching or shrinking along one dimension to achieve that ratio, right?

Affinity Photo 

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Probably, but if the aspect ratio of the image is not 5:2 to begin with, what then? It either has to be cropped (or masked), or distorted by stretching or shrinking along one dimension to achieve that ratio, right?

Well, yes, which is why I used the word “explicitly”. The image will be cropped to (or masked by) the canvas.

Alfred spacer.png

16 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Well, yes, which is why I used the word “explicitly”. The image will be cropped to (or masked by) the canvas.

OK, but given the ambiguity of what the OP has said (& the title of the topic), it it not clear to me if any image cropping, regardless of how it is achieved, is what is wanted. Thus, my questions in my first reply.

Affinity Photo 

I got what he meant and being as though cropping is non-destructive it works perfectly for him, so John can crop away to his hearts content.

Maybe this non-destructive cropping should really be called pre-cropping?